Fetching more rows / Dynamic linkages in a workbook

thunderhead

Hi all,

A few queries with regard to Excel/VBA/Macros:

a.) I have a bunch of data on a worksheet in a workbook. I am displaying a part of this data on another worksheet in a different workbook.

I want a control by which the user can choose to view more data from the first worksheet.

For example, I have some names and telephone numbers in the first workbook. I display some 5 five of these on another workbook. I want to have a button or spin control, which when clicked can display another 5 entries from the first workbook (or, in case of the spin control, display as many as the user wants uptil the last entry...).

How do I accomplish this?

b.) Also, let's say I have a workbook which is dynamically linked to some other workbooks for data sourcing purposes. I want to distribute this workbook to others, but only with the latest updated data from the other workbooks (in other words, I don't want to send them all the linked workbooks, just the one workbook with the latest updated data from my machine). Is there an easy way to toggle the dynamic linkage on and off, or replicate my workbook with just the values onto another one for the purposes of distribution? (Better still, would it be possible to have a control on my workbook which when called upon can create another worksheet with just the latest values present in my workbook [let's say it's just one worksheet that I want to distribute]?).

c.) How do I add a control to the worksheet, which when used can change the active worksheet to another worksheet on the same workbook and display it?

Thanks a ton for all your insights on this.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Let's work through from EASY to Hard:

b: Edit->Links, then select Break Links from the dialog. This will convert all formulaic references to other workbooks to the most updated Text Value.

c: What about the Sheet Tab buttons at the bottom of the window? Alternatively, you can add a Command Button with this code:
Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet2").Activate

End Sub

a: There are a variety of ways to do this. I assume that you want to do this on the sheet directly? I would add a spin control with this code:
Code:
Private Sub SpinButton1_SpinDown()
    If Replace(Application.Names("Index").Value, "=", "") > 1 Then

Application.Names("Index").Value = "=" & Replace(Application.Names("Index").Value, "=", "") - 1

End If
End Sub

Private Sub SpinButton1_SpinUp()
If Replace(Application.Names("Index").Value, "=", "") < 100 Then

Application.Names("Index").Value = "=" & Replace(Application.Names("Index").Value, "=", "") + 1

End If
End Sub

And something like this formula to get the values from a closed workbook:

Code:
=INDIRECT.ext("'U:\proceng\wip\test_procs\wpoga\oga\Administration\PES Stuff\[PES Document Index.xls]Data'!$I$"&Index)
with appropriate substitutions for your file/path names... and just increment each formula Index+1, Index +2... as required. I recommend using Indirect.ext from MoreFunc (by Laurent Longre) so you can extract values from the workbook while closed.

There are other options for doing this, too, but this one is a little simpler than others...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back