File Already Exists (custom addin problems)

hatman

So I have a fair number of cutom addins on my computer... some created by me, others I have downloaded. In the last week or so, I have started getting an error that I can't track down. During Excel initialization, I get what looks like a Msgbox: title = Microsoft Visual Basic, Prompt = File Already Exists, style = vbokayonly. It only shows up when opening one of my custom Addins, which causes that Addin to fail to load. The first bizarre thing is that this behaviour does NOT occur every time that I open Excel... usually every second, but sometimes I might be able to open successfully as many as 5 or 6 times before it happens again. The second bizarre thing is that I added a STOP command at the beginning of the workbook_open event so I could step through in debug mode, only to find that the error and failure occurred before any code was executed... just to prove this to myself, I deleted the entire workbook_open event from the module, and restarted... sure enough, this error seems to occur indpendent of code EXECUTION of the addin. Unless I am completely missing something here. It almost seems like there is a coflict between addins... but it's manifesting itself in a way that I can't track it down.

After having unintalled my own custom addins one at a time, I was not able to conclusively figure out where the conflict lies... by the time I got them all re-installed, the problem seems to have ceased. But I have no idea why. Many of these Addins have been distributed throughout the company, so I feel like I need to figure out the cause before other people start reporting issues that I need to fix. Has anyone seen behaviour like this before?

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Did you check for any orphaned instances of Excel running by way of the Task Manager?

Upvote 0
Quite alright: this is obscure enough (and I have little enough data to describe the problem) that I didn't really expect much anyway. Thanx for thnking about it, anyway.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back