File error: data may have been lost

sdc

I've been working on an Excel file with no problems. Then yesterday I opened it and got the error in the subject line. Certain - but not all - of the formulas in the workbook now simply contain "=#N/A". I fixed the formulas and re-saved it. I opened the file again today and got the same problem. Older versions of the file with the same formulas (maybe slightly different) are opening fine. There are no macros in this workbook. I'm using Excel 2007. Any ideas why this might be happening and how to stop it?

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
I had the same problem and it was because I was using formulas that are exclusive to the Analysis Tool Pak. On one machine, the Tool Pak was installed, and no issues. On another machine, the Tool Pak wasn't installed and I was getting the error.

Not sure if your problem is along the same lines, but it sounds like it.

Upvote 0
That does sound like it's along the same lines - the formulas that are breaking are include XIRR, which I believe is part of the Analysis Tool Pak.

However, I'm on the same machine and using the same version of Excel and had no problem with these formulas a day before, and still have no problems when I open up earlier versions of the file that contain XIRR.

Upvote 0
Here's a shot in the dark:

Did you send the file to someone, they opened (perhaps they didn't have the Tool Pak installed), saved it, and then sent it back to you?

That's what happened to me, and the errors started popping up. On their machine, it looks like it works, but if you check the formulas it will show =#NA. The value is still there, but the formula isn't.

I fixed it by adding in a bit of code on the workbook open event to make sure the tool pack was installed.

Welcome to the board, by the way! Sorry, didn't catch it earlier.

Upvote 0
I didn't send the file to anyone, so that's not it. This is driving me crazy.

Upvote 0
I just noticed that on another tab I am getting the same errors even where calculations do not involve XIRR or anything from the Analysis Took Pak. Very odd.

Upvote 0
I am having this EXACT same problem!!!

My workbook is HUGE though (15 tabs with 1000+ formulas on each, file size is 10mb), so I thought perhaps there might be a limit to the number of formulas that can be contained in a workbook. I'm not aware of formula limits, but has anyone heard of any?

I am using Excel 2007, but saving the file as Excel 2003 since my client has not upgraded. Could this be the issue perhaps? I get some minor incompatability warnings when saving, but nothing that I would expect to cause formulas to be replaced with "#N/A"

I am NOT using more than 255 columns or 64k+ rows, so that is not the cause either.

Any thoughts here would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance!

Zach

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back