File is there, but can't see it!

ffmedic1638

We have saved a file on one computer, which actually saves it to another computer. When trying to open the file on that computer, we see nothing. Except that we can go to a specific cell address and see the contents in the navigation bar near the top of where the worksheet/workbook would normally be displayed. On the computer that the file was originally worked on, we can open the file and everything is displayed normally.
I am not really sure what was done to cause this. I am hoping that you might have some ideas.
Basically, the bosses computer works like a server. The work being done by the guy who sits beside me is all saved to the bosses computer, upstairs. Nothing is saved locally to the machine that he is working on. We are using Excel 2007.
Each day, the file from the previous day is opened (kind of using it as a template), edited, and then saved changing the file name. The problems only started on the 19th. Every file prior to that date opens fine (upstairs). Every file since the 19th is affected as described previously.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Try View | Windows | Arrange All
Let me know if that does not work and I will give you a small macro that may 'recover' it.
We had the same problem at work on upgrading to Excel 2007, but only where the workbooks had been opened on a PC with two screens. It seems to be a 'feature' of where/how the the workbook was displayed wen closing/saving.

Upvote 0
Well...apparently the problem is solved. Before reading your response, she told me that she was no able to view all parts of those files. She indicated something about "restoring" the suspect files. I didn't get to see exactly what she did, so while it appears that there is no problem any more, I don't have the satisfaction of understanding what was actually done to resolve it.
If it surfaces again, I'll be sure to try your suggestion though. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Pleased to hear that the problem has been solved but I guess that you would like to have known exactly what caused it and how it was resolved.
In case you need it later, here is a copy of the macro that is contained in my 'Tools' add-in used at work, that restores the 'hidden' window.
Code:
Sub RestoreWindow()
    On Error Resume Next
    Application.Left = 1
    Application.Top = 1.75
    With ActiveWindow
        .Top = 1
        .Left = 1
    End With
    ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized
End Sub

Upvote 0
Derek - that gets me all the time in xl2010 especially as I have a twin screen setup at home (22" and 24" widescreens) and I like to stretch Excel across both and view 3 worksheets simultaneously). It's a bit annoying. I usually just open up the VBE and type into the Immediate Window

ActiveWindow.Left = 1

Upvote 0
Thank you for the contribution, Richard - it is useful to know that the problem is still there in Excel 2010.
By choice, I am one of the two people in the office using a single screen and I haven't had the problem. I didn't really have enough time for a full investigation when the others started having the problem but I believe that it will be avoided if the window is moved to the left/main monitor and maximized before saving/closing the file.

Upvote 0
I didn't really have enough time for a full investigation when the others started having the problem but I believe that it will be avoided if the window is moved to the left/main monitor and maximized before saving/closing the file.

Yep that worked for me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hengshankouniuniu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back