File Keeps Losing Links

hugo15

I've got a real problem that is driving me insane........ the files I use for my forecasting keep losing their links.

I've got four detail files that link into a summary file. The issue I've got is that the link between the individual detail files and the summary file keeps falling over, and I get

='\\UKBL01\Employee Log On Number\settings.V2\AppData\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\Q:\XXXX\Sales Forecasting\2014\[2014 Sales Summary Sep MTHEND customer Dev.xls]Customer A'!BR$305

rather than

='Q:\XXXX\Sales Forecasting\2014\[2014 Sales Summary Sep MTHEND customer Dev.xls]Customer A'!BR$305

The problem is that when the file loses it's links any changes I've made in the detail file don't get reflected in the summary file. This doesn't happen every time I go into the file but randomly. The files are also accessed by other users and they are having the same issue. We have had the issue with a couple of other files but not with others. It can be fixed by going to the Data tab and editing the link to the file to the correct place on the network, but as you can imagine, this is becoming rather tedious.

So far I have tried clearing out all the old links so that the only links into the summary are from the current detail files but this has made no difference.

Anyone got any bright ideas how to stop this happening before I make a massive error in the forecast data that I produce?

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
I've had our IT guys look at it but they don't have a solution. Has anyone seen this before? It's driving me insane :mad:

Upvote 0
Fingers crossed, but I think I have fixed this issue!! Thought I would update the thread as it might help others in the future.

The files had been created in 2003 and still had a .xls extension. I saved the files as .xlsx files. I then went into the formula tab and selected the name manager. There was a lot of names defined that hadn't been created by any users (no idea where they have come from). I deleted all of the names and saved the file. It now seems to be working fine but I will keep monitoring.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BEDE

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back