File Order in File/Open for XP

ryanday

I recently had XP installed. When I used to open files sorted by date, folders would come first and then files. Now with XP, files come first followed by folders. Any idea how to change this????

Thanks

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Hi,

When you say "open files sorted by date" do you mean from Windows Explorer/My Computer or from with the Open File Dialog window in an application ie Word or Excel?

Also what view are you using to see the list of files and folders, List, details or what,

If you switch the view to details and click on the grey bit at the top of the data column, the list will switch round still in date order but the folders will be at the top in the order they were created and your last file created at the bottom of the list.

If you then switch to ordinary list view the order you chose will still be active, if you want that altered in any of the other views, say thumbnails, icons etc, choose details first and then change that first.

HTH

John

Upvote 0
John,
I am in Detail Mode and wanted the sort to be Folder, then files most recently touched. The older version did this automatically. Now when sorting on the date, I get either, most recent file, then folders, or folders followed by oldest file first. Any thougts?

Upvote 0
Hi

Yes, there are a lot more criteria that you can sort your files by, In detail view, if you right click on the grey section after Name, Size Type etc... you'll get a dropdown list, some of the options are more determined by the types of files there.
Then click to add a tick next to the criteria you want and it will sort by that field, and I would assume "Date accessed" is the field you want.

HTH

John

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back