File saves slowly and crashes - when Excel file is too big?

ellenya

Hi!

I have Excel 2007 file that became very slow to save and crashes often. Description: the file calculates returns from 15 different funds. It has about 30 sheets. Where 1 sheet has about 30 graphs and histograms, 1 sheet calculates data through alias formulas and other sheets are just returns data (the biggest running 84 rows down and 45 columns wide. The entire file is about 2.8 MB in size.

Could you have any suggestions as to what can do to make it work normal? Are there any dowloads available? Should I break it up? It does not seem that it is too much information load? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
2.8MB doesn't seem that big an Excel file to me, I know I've got a lot bigger ones than that and they are stable enough.

Are you using a lot of volatile formulas to pull in your data? (http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecretsi.htm)

If your using to many and Excel is trying to recalculate them all when your saving then you might experience problems with it crashing, especially if your trying to do other things at the same time.

One thing you could try is to disable the 'Calculate before save' option and see how you get on from there, I'm not sure where the option is in Excel 2007 but in 2003 it's in the 'Tools > Options' menu under the 'Calculation' tab.

If you do find a lot of volatile functions then you might want to try copying and pasting some of the results as values if you have data that is going to remain consistent.

Upvote 0
What kind of formulas?

I've had files a few years ago that had VLookups and the sort that had extremely large lookup ranges and it made the files VERY slow.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreeCricketId

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back