File size too big, have 1 worksheet instead of 200?

skaxamax

I'm wondering if there would be a difference to a file size if instead of having 200 worksheets, which I currently have, I have all the info from those 200 worksheets in one worksheet (which would mean there are thousands of rows). My current file is 87 Meg and this is unworkable for my environment. If there would be a reduction in size by putting it all on one worksheet, does anyone have any rough idea of how much it might cut down the file size by?

Many thanks,

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hi, welcome to MrExcel.

the information you posted is incomplete. What do you have in your file that makes it as big as 87 MB !!! What type of data you have in all these worksheets ? Describe in detail about the data your file has currently. Also, let us know your expectations on the number of rows your file would have if it were only one worksheet.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if there would be a difference to a file size if instead of having 200 worksheets, which I currently have, I have all the info from those 200 worksheets in one worksheet (which would mean there are thousands of rows). My current file is 87 Meg and this is unworkable for my environment. If there would be a reduction in size by putting it all on one worksheet, does anyone have any rough idea of how much it might cut down the file size by?

Many thanks,

Why don't you try it and see? Some information on memory:

http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimitsc.htm

Upvote 0
At the moment there is 330 rows per worksheet & each worksheet is identical. I'm using it to budget for rent in a shopping centre and there is one worksheet per tenant. There are numerous rows on each worksheet because when a tenant has a rent review there may be 5 different review types that can happen. I also have to consider various dates, such as the review date & lease expiry date, so getting it all to work was tricky but it's done now and works fine. With 330 rows and about 150 tenants, that would be nearly 50,000 rows.

To try it to test would take me hours and I'd hate to do all that only to have a file of the same size. Memory isn't a problem, it's mainly people accessing the file over the net that wouldn't work.

Thanks,

Upvote 0
Did you think about putting all the data together in one worksheet and then creating a pivot table ? One more option, you can merge the tenants together for whom the records match exactly with one another and narrow down the number of sheets too.

Besides, Mr. Andrew Poulsom is not talking about your computer's memory. His indication is to the MEMORY which is used by Excel in particular to calculate the formulae and the references in your large excel file.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back