File Size

dtaylor

i would like to know if the number of tabs in a file will impact the overall size of a file more than the amount of data.

i have many files that contain over 20 tabs each with between 3 and 300 lines per tab.

the files are huge - one @ 91mb - has 35 tabs

when i copy all the data from each tab to one tab on another workbook the file size is dramitcally reduced.
just seems a little strange - any thoughts

dan

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
There are lots of things that can contribute to bloated files,

From the sound of yours, I'm guessing you have cells formated beyond the range of cells that actually need to be formated.

eg. You selected a whole row (clicked on the row label) when you wanted to apply cell formats to the cells that had data in them in that row.

Next time, just select the cells you're interested in formatting, nothing else.

Also, do a search on this sight on large files, there's a lot of posts involving this problem...

HTH,

Upvote 0
Hi

Reduce all in the sheet tighten it up, any unneeded extra cel with dirty data, formattin and formula delete the un neered easy enought to add if more data added.

Also 90MB i would suggest BACK UP regually each back up different name and this is top heavy

ANYTHING can bloat, arrays to many kill sheets wkbks, over formatting, the key is no excess

Just some points

I would have this 90MB in at least 10 wkbks just in case i refuse to push excel to far, and 5 10 MAX, so many tabs so heavy with data>>>>> A lot there i would look to archive old data, there must be some you can store out side this wkbk

Just my opinions, not rules

HTH

Jack

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back