File that required A LOT of dev time closes w/o save -- hopin' not to need complete rebuild

OaklandJim

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Team Mr. Excel.

Have what was a decent investment portfolio spreadsheet that is now not working. After a few modifications it refuses (personalty disorder?) to save changes. Excel spins the save icon around, closes the file and reopens w/o mods. No error messages. Get 0 byte text files in the same folder, like an empty error message. Thanx Excel for THAT.

Deconstructed/removed various parts but cannot get even a somewhat stripped down version to work.

I have gone back numerous older rev versions. Am now on oldest rev I have from 4/19 but still a spin and a close when I modify it.

Only now do I realize that even a year and a half ago the same issue was lurking. (Or maybe Excel internals changed?)

Tried to methodically look for the issue. No luck. What makes it not save is not obvious. Sometimes removing a sheet does it. Sometimes clearing cells does it. Sometimes removing/modifying VBA module does it.

Cleaned the file.

I sure hope that someone can help me. Not sure how but I'm hopin'

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Dave

Thnx for response! I here being pretty upset about my spreadsheet. Wife thinks it is overwraught. She may be right; but...

There is not much to show. Cannot even guess at what is wrong. It just stops (closes) w/o saves. No error message, Nada.

I would gladly provide the file but I recall getting into trubble by Mr. Excel folks last time I provided the link to file on dropbox.

Any other ideas about what to try?

I hope so. I have several weeks of dev in this thing. Lots of names, formatting, code, etc.

Can you speculate about how likely it is that I can copy some sheets from the offending workbook to a new one and get a "new" "cleaner" workbook?

Jim

Upvote 0
I was referring to supplying the code.
You can paste the code in the code window.
Click the </> icon and a box will pop up, that's where you can paste the code.

Nobody likes ad oriented file sharing. Google drive would be good though.

Upvote 0
Dave

Heheh...have like maybe couple thousand lines of code in a bunch of modules. It does not seem to be code-related.

I commented out sheet and book event code.

Like I said, I can describe the symptom but I have no idea what causes the problem and the trigger (what I do in workbook) seems to vary. Sometimes commenting code does it. Sometimes changing sheet data or formulas doesit.

Exasperated

Upvote 0
Dave.

I always meant to express my gratitude for Mr. Excel member asistance. So thanks very much for being interested in helping.

Just learned more about guts of Office than I want. Wife -- total non techy -- found article on error logs. Darn her!

Found error log entry below which may give informed ones a clue?

Thank you Thank you!

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 16.0.13127.20408, time stamp: 0x5f56c50b
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.488, time stamp: 0x42f14898
Exception code: 0xe06d7363
Fault offset: 0x00129962
Faulting process id: 0x72c0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6983a9ee77b53
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: b1e9f9cf-8e62-4291-8a27-1a694e3f68ba
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Jim (minimally hopeful)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I say a code issue because of the spinning icon. It could be anything, but possibly an endless loop.

Upvote 0
Dave.

Perhaps. But as far as I can tell no code executes when the problem happens. I killed sheet and book events. No subs are called when it happens, that I know of.

From experience endless loops don't just stop Excel and the workbook. I recall that hitting esc gets me out of one?

Feeling around in the dark...Windows/Office seems to have a problem in file KERNELBASE.dll. Might it be corrupted somehow? Just grasping at used plastic straws...

Have a good one and thanks again!

Jim

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screechyboy79

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back