File too big?

davidam

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All,
I am wondering if anyone can advise me on file size relative to RAM. I think I have reached the max. Still using XP with 4GB of RAM. The program in question is 130,000 KB with numerous charts, 11 worksheets, and many thousands of lines of VBA code. It all worked pretty well until I added one more sheet and some code that surely uses a lot of memory to clean up and parse some large imported files. It works OK, but this last operation now takes about 10 seconds to run. Occasionally, the file will fail to properly display a sheet, missing many elements etc. I am thinking it is time for a new machine with a large amount of RAM. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?
Thank you,
David

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Do you suspect the file has any artificial bloat to it? It's not unusual to see 130MB files with performance issues, you may want to try a few things to see if you can bring the file-size down. Here are some suggestions:

- Do a quick Delete of Columns and Rows outside each sheet's used data range. Sometimes bloat hides there, especially with imported data ranges.
- Make sure all pivot tables share the same exact data source, if possible. This way you don't have similar but duplicated pivot caches.
- Simplify formatting. Especially applies to Conditional formatting (check to make sure rules aren't duplicated) and on data kept on hidden sheets.

Hope that helps

Upvote 0
Hello Asala42,
Well, I have no pivot tables, no conditional formatting, and I have been pretty good about cleaning up unnecessary stuff. I do think you are correct about bloat, however. I imagine it is a pretty common practice to save iterations of a file as you build forward so I opened the most recent version, which is almost identical to the latest, and ran it without any of the issues that I described. The big parsing operation took about 300ms tops, which I can live with. I think it is a case of some kind of unseen bloat and I have no idea how to get rid of it...so I will just build forward with the last version. Thanks for your help.
David

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back