File Version

wob

Board Regular
I'm having a few problems with a macro I'm working on....

I'm attemption to find out what excel version a workbook has been created/previously saved in. I'm using activeworkbook.fileformat.

However, msgbox (activeworkbook.fileformat) just gives me an unhelpfull number! Am I missing something here? I was expecting something a bit more friendly like 'xlExcel5'. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
I like the question and dedicate my reply to MANHATTON 'Terry Hatton and also Denis Smith Rescue 1 and retired Engine 82 New Yorks EMS.

Depends of a few bits check the date if you have not altered the file properties and see if 95 the Version 5 is correct

Its not so easy but look at file size if small ie less that 32kb then standard save will be prior XP if less than 20kb ie 16.18 then prob 97

does that help.

Can i ask why it matters i would save as latest version you have

REMEMBER you cant go back, so be careful manybe if guys only have 95 [very good to non VBA/E as such] thy cant open work on higher versions

HTH

Take care sleep well MAN-HATTON! :cry:

Upvote 0
Jack.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure it helps me.

We have a piece of software that can export excel reports from a choice of several versions. I need to check to see which version of excel has been chosen before the macro can continue.

Upvote 0
Hi

Software ???

All version from VERSION 4 thats windows 3.11 allow back wards save to older versions.

I have excel version 2 and also version 2 in dos, so i am preplex to this.

Upvote 0
yeah, i know....
but the thing is, depending on what file the user has selected for export, the format of the report is slightly different.

hence, i would like to know what excel version the workbook is which i'm working on.

Upvote 0
I have the same gripe with MS, they use "Release" numbers and those numbers do not match the version number used in the name. For Excel the six digit number format is product name: x.x and the product ".dll" release used: .xxxx

But, for some other Office products you may get a 7 digit "release" number, MS is not consistant, except for making it difficult to find even simple information out about its products, they learned this from "IBM."

So for Excel 2000 you may get: 9.0.2743

The way to get this is with the Sheet Formula:

="Release: " & INFO("release")

in any cell.

MicroSoft does not have a list on its web site indicating which number go's with which version?

I have looked in the past and today, I searched all the Microsoft sub-sites using:

Excel release by number, Excel version release, Excel release, Release reference, releases and release, no luck?

So unless you get everyone to click their "Help-About Microsoft Excel" and post what version name go's with what "release" for the Excel they are using, I don't know?

You will need the first two numbers only though as the ".dll" number is for service updates. Then you can build a "Case" macro for the filtered, two digit number release version, returned by the Worksheetfunction: INFO (note: the value returned is "text" even though it looks like a number!). Then do a case lookup for what Excel version go's with what numbers. JSW

Upvote 0
Joe we agree and i tried to avoid saying what you put far better than i ever could or would

>>>So unless you get everyone to click their "Help-About Microsoft Excel" and post what version name go's with what "release" for the Excel they are using, I don't know?

Not so easy... i did toy with an excel sheet that would email the sender with the info data as yoiu discribe but felt a bit silly that one then to send in that persons file format!!

Ermmmm !!!

Upvote 0
Tell you waht Jacks been playing i might be able to tell you if you stuck what version a doc is

Wanna send it!!

MAybe maybe not cant promise

Jack

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back