Jaypee666

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
  3. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all.

I know I've a workbook someplace with what I'm trying to achieve here already in it, but for the live of me I can't find it.

Anyways, here goes, and I know it'll be something simple.

I have a workbook I fill in daily specifying date (Col A) start location (Col B) and end location (Col C) along with the distance (Col D) between the 2.
I have a 2nd sheet called Distances, which already has a list of these trips and their lengths, with start location (Col A) and end location (Col B) along with the distance (Col C)

What I am trying to is when I input Start & End locations that Distance will be automatically filled in based on these 2 cells.

All help greatly appreciated. :)

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Hello,

a formula you could use is:

=INDEX(Sheet1!C:C,MATCH(B1&C1,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10&Sheet1!$B$1:$B$10,0),0)

you will need to change workbook name and cell ranges as required. You will also need to use CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER (array formula) when entering the formula, not just enter.

Not sure what you mean by automatically filled in.

Does this give required results?

Upvote 0
If the location combinations in columns A & B of the Distances sheet are unique, then you could also try

=SUMIFS(Distances!C$2:C$100,Distances!A$2:A$100,B2,Distances!B$2:B$100,C2)

Upvote 0
Solution
@Peter_SSs That works perfectly as does yours @onlyadrafter

Thank you both.

I'm going with Peters for the moment, but can ye advise as to the difference between the 2 methods please?

Upvote 0
Thank you both.
You're welcome. Glad we could help. :)

difference between the 2 methods
On 'Distances', mine adds all the values in column C where column A matches the start location and column B matches the end location. This only works if that combination of locations only appears once on 'Distances'

On 'Distances' onlyadrafter's formula joins all the column A and column B values together then looks down that list until it finds a match with the start & end locations joined together and retrieves the value from column C at that point.

There is a slight possibility of an error with that formula if your locations were say codes as shown in my example below.

Jaypee666 1.xlsm
ABC
1StartEndDist
2abcdef50
3abcdef200
Distances

You will see that in E2 below there is an incorrect result & this has stemmed from the direct joining of values. However, the slight modification of that formula, adding a delimiter, in F2 resolves that potential issue.
IF you have the FILTER function in your Excel 365, another option is shown in G2

Jaypee666 1.xlsm
BCDEFG
1StartEndDistDistDistDist
2abcdef20050200200
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2D2=SUMIFS(Distances!C$2:C$10,Distances!A$2:A$10,B2,Distances!B$2:B$10,C2)
E2E2=INDEX(Distances!C:C,MATCH(B2&C2,Distances!$A$1:$A$10&Distances!$B$1:$B$10,0),0)
F2F2=INDEX(Distances!C:C,MATCH(B2&"|"&C2,Distances!$A$1:$A$10&"|"&Distances!$B$1:$B$10,0),0)
G2G2=INDEX(FILTER(Distances!C$2:C$10,(Distances!A$2:A$10=B2)*(Distances!B$2:B$10=C2),""),1)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back