Fill Color

Lambada

Board Regular
I have this spreadsheet that is format as follows: B5:AF5 represents the days in the month (1-31). B7:AF30 are the areas for login certain information divided by days of the month. Cell AA3 has the month, and cell AE3 has the year. What I want is for all sundays of the month to be fill colored in gray based on the month and year entered in cells AA3 and AE3. Can this be done ?

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Here's a variation on what you're asking for. Wish I could take credit but this was developed with much assistance from this board, especially Aladin (thanks again!).

I started with a grid of 1-31 in columns B1:AF1 and JAN-DEC in rows A5:A16. The year is defined elsewhere as Base. I wanted to shade the grid one color for Holidays (as I define them), a second color for Sat & Sun, and a third color for invalid dates like Sep 31.

I have a ws named ValidDates3 similar to the above with 1-31 in B1:AF1 and Jan-Dec in A2:A13. A1 contains the year (2002). Cell C2 contains this formula:

=IF(TEXT(DATE($A$1,MATCH($A2,{"jan";"feb";"mar";"apr";"may";"jun";"jul";"aug";"sep";"oct";"nov";"dec"},0),C$1),"mmm")=$A2,DATE($A$1,MATCH($A2,{"jan";"feb";"mar";"apr";"may";"jun";"jul";"aug";"sep";"oct";"nov";"dec"},0),C$1),"Invalid")

and it is used to fill the rest of the grid with the exception of defined holidays. Holidays contain the text "Holiday".Each cell in the grid displays the date it references as mm-dd-yy or "Holiday" or "Invalid".

DAYS is defined as =ValidDates3!$B$1:$AF$1

MONTHS is defined as =ValidDates3!$A$2:$A$13

BASE is defined as =ValidDates3!$A$1

Finally, cell B5 in the original ws contains the following Conditional Format:

Condition 1 (dark blue background) identifies invalid dates:
=OFFSET(Base,MATCH(IF(LEN($A5),$A5,$A4),MONTHS,0),MATCH(B$4,DAYS,0))="Invalid"

Condition 2 (gray background) identifies weekends:
=WEEKDAY(OFFSET(Base,MATCH(IF(LEN($A5),$A5,$A4),MONTHS,0),MATCH(B$4,DAYS,0)),2)>5

Condition 3 (dark green background) identifies holidays:
=OFFSET(Base,MATCH(IF(LEN($A5),$A5,$A4),MONTHS,0),MATCH(B$4,DAYS,0))="Holiday"

I hope this helps you as much as it did me.
This message was edited by pilot on 2002-08-26 06:38

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back