Fill effects in line charts

Dan in Germany

I have a question regarding fill in a line chart. I have a time series and the X axis consists of Monthly intervals for two years (January of previous year to December current year). The data for the line are Chi Square values which will range from +14 to -20 The significance level for the tests are +7 and -7. I would like to have a line graph in which the area above 7 or below -7 is colored black. I've tried playing around with stacked area graphs however, when I set one data set with a maximum or minimum of + or - 7 then the slopes of the two data sets do not equal one another and cutt off at 7 is not smooth but rounded.

If this has made any sense, could someone help me in finding a way to fill these areas? I'm using Excel 2007. However, I do have access to Excel 2003, but only on my computer at home. I'm open for solutions for both versions.
thanks in advance!
Dan

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
thanks for the quick reply!

The link was interesting, however it wasn't quite what I was looking for. My data values snake around 0 with peaks and valleys sometimes surpassing 7 and -7. What I envision is a line graph in which all values above or below 7 or -7 will be filled in black, the area between 7 and -7 would be the same color as the graph background. That would mean a horizontal cut off at 7 or -7. The technique from the link just separates the values in my data set into three categories and plots them as three different data sets with no horizontal cutoff. That is, values of -30 to -7, -7 to 7 and 7 to 30 are all plotted seperatly with different colors, but with no horizontal cut off at 7 or -7.
Outside of editing the graph in photoshop I'm not sure what else to do, and photoshop is not really an option since I will have over 50 graphs to edit!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back