Fill Under or Between Series in an Excel XY Chart

3link

Board Regular
dmCOEF

I want to fill the space between the two lines on an XY chart with a solid coloring. To that end, I found this article in the Peltier Tech blog from a few years back. I have tried unsuccessfully to replicate the results so I can learn the concept. It could be because I'm using Excel 2016 and the article is for Excel 2007, 2010 and 2013.

I'm starting off with the example for "Fill Under One XY Series" because I feel like that's the key to understanding how to fill between two series. The first problem I encounter is that the automatic scale for the x axis is different in my example. For instance, in his example it looks like this:

FillUnder01OneXY.png

Mine looks like this:
rR1GB6H.png

Note that the data and chart type are exactly the same, but the maximum value on the x axis is 7 in my chart and 8 on his. This is critical because the next step requires you to enter min and max values for the x axis. In his example, the number is 8. That might be throwing off my results. I don't know. I've just been using 8 anyway.

The next problem I encounter is that my chart looks nothing like his after I add the data from D2 through E11.

Here's what his chart looks like:
FillUnder03DataTwoXYPri.png

Here's what mine looks like

(see next post down due to image per post constraints)

Note the X axis on mine does not adjust for the new values. That is, his axis went from a max of 8 to a max of 1500. Mine, well, I don't know what the hell mine is doing. But it's not right.

Anyway, I have a feeling I'm missing something basic here. Maybe I have to change a setting on my x axis. I don't know. I've been at this for hours with no luck. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back