Fill with above cell if cell is empty on large range

Mooncake1

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
hi friends!

does anyone know how to use a spill formula to fill blank cells with the row above's data?
i have some really long data sets, and i am limited to in cell formula (excel online).
preferable i would like to add this to a range like " a1:index(a:a,endofdata) " where end of data is 50,000-100,000.
at the moment im doing the following, which is clunky:
book1
AB
1Data:Fdata:
2dsgfdsgf
3gfhgfh
4gfh
5gfh
6gfgf
7ghjghj
8ghj
9ghj
10ghj
11ghj
12ghj
13ghj
14fghfgh
15fgh
16fgh
17fgh
18fgh
1946f46f
2046f
21fgfg
22hh
23gfgf
24jj
25gjgj
26gj
27gj
28gfgf
29gf
30gf
31gf
32jj
33j
34j
35j
36kiukiu
37kiu
38erytrterytrt
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B38B2=IF((A2)="",B1,A2)

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
It's actually simple and effective. Attempting to do the same with a formula that can spill would be clunky and inefficient.
I'm doing this for 100,000 rows, using non-spilling formula makes the filesize 10x larger.
If it uses "endofdata" a spill formula will only need to calculate until the end of the data, not whole column

Upvote 0
If it uses "endofdata" a spill formula will only need to calculate until the end of the data, not whole column
It doesn't need to do the whole column if you don't drag beyond the end of the data.

Also, you will note in my earlier reply that I said 'attempting to do the same' rather than 'doing the same'. Formulas that use progressive ranges are notoriously spill resistant, those that do spill often give incorrect results.

One key factor appears to be that a spilled formula can not read the results of other cells in the spill range correctly. For example, where you have consecutive blanks a spilled formula would not be able to get the value from the cell above that has already been spilled.

In the event that it is possible to find a spill formula that works, you would likely be saving on file size at an increased cost of processing effort due to the complexity of the formula needed.

Upvote 0
It doesn't need to do the whole column if you don't drag beyond the end of the data.

Also, you will note in my earlier reply that I said 'attempting to do the same' rather than 'doing the same'. Formulas that use progressive ranges are notoriously spill resistant, those that do spill often give incorrect results.

One key factor appears to be that a spilled formula can not read the results of other cells in the spill range correctly. For example, where you have consecutive blanks a spilled formula would not be able to get the value from the cell above that has already been spilled.

In the event that it is possible to find a spill formula that works, you would likely be saving on file size at an increased cost of processing effort due to the complexity of the formula needed.
the data is not static either, so it will need to be filled down manually each time.
I would much prefer a high processing power formula than a huge excel file that takes forever to load

Upvote 0
What you are asking for appears to be impossible with a spillable formula (as I originally suspected). The only thing that comes close to working needs to be recalculated multiple times in order to return the correct results, the number of recalculations will be variable according to the actual data set it is being used with.

Unless you can use a full version of excel where vba is an option, you're going to be stuck with a regular formula filled down manually.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back