Filling cells based on a pull-down

AliceSpark

Hi everyone! I have a spreadsheet we want to use as a sort of fillable form for non-tech savvy people to send us data in. The problem is, there are columns they don’t need to fill in depending on which one of several dozen selections is made in a different column. The original solution to this was to use conditional formatting to black out the un-needed cells based on the users selection. But now they want something that just prints “NA” in the un-needed cells. I figure that leaves me to coding the spreadsheet. Except the problem with using if statements throughout it is that the users will be typing right over top of the code and it will be lost the moment they do, so if they make any changes, the code is already gone. I can’t think of any other work around that would allow me to fill “NA” in a cell, based on another cells contents without putting code directly into the first cell. Any ideas? I have virtually no VBA code experience but I’m skilled at making complex functions.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
You could use a IF statement in a helper column that is password protected?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back