Filling in cells based on a start and end date

Flaviking

Good afternoon,

This is my first post and I have to admit, I'm not very skilled at excel. So I am hoping someone can help me out.

I have been searching for the last month on a solution to my problem and all i seem to come across are Ghatt sheets.

I am trying to show in a visual manner, the start and end dates of a task over a period of time. For example, I have a start date of 7/1/2014 and an end date of 9/28/2014. I would like to create a visual representation of that by having dates across the top of a worksheet and then a colored bar stretching from 7/1/2014 to 9/28/2014.

I would need to do this for multiple entries and have them each show independently from one another

task a in row 2, task b in row 3.

The ghatt chart doesn't really work for me as there are know sub tasks, which that seems to depend on.

If anyone can help< i'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop

skywriter

I think what you are referring to is a Gantt chart. What you describe sounds exactly like a Gannt chart and I think that is actually what you want. I don't think you need sub tasks for a Gantt chart you can have only one task represented on each line.

Search Google or whatever your preference is and you will find tutorials either written or video on how to make them and also probably fine some ready made templates.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicky736

This Week's Hot Topics

• Change military grades into rank
    Afternoon all Need help with formula that will change military rank (i.e. 1, 2, 3 into Amn, A1C, SrA). Running IF formula that does not work...
  • VBA COUNTIF SOLUTION
    Hi The following are the errors spread across the several columns from E to Q ie. 13 columns across several sheets with more than 500 rows per...
  • INSERT ROW WITH SPECIFIS TEXT IN A COLUMN
    Hi All! How can identify that that the row to be inserted has to be inserted before 1st row with specific text in column F. If I record the...
  • Auto-Create a monthly Sign in sheet for preschool students
    The image below is what each page looks like. Above is space for the "Child Name" "Month" "Class" School days are obviously Monday-Friday but...
  • VBA vlookup multiple results
    Hi folks, Hopefully someone out there can help. I have a list to vlookup which works (ish). the lookup only picks up the first instance of the...
  • Extract values for earliest/latest times
    I am trying to put together a formula to get the earliest start time, the latest end time from column A for each person in Column B-F without the...