Filling in Missing Record Labels

danriske

I have a large spreadsheet with labels in one column, but only the first record in each series includes the appropriate label. For example, I would have a label in cell A1 that applies to cells B1 through B7. Then I would have a label in cell A8 that applies to cell B8 through B26. However, cells A2-A7 and A9-A26 are blank. My goal is to fill cells A2-A7 with the label in A1 and cells A9-A26 with the label in cell A8 [and do this for numerous other series of data of varying lengths throughout the spreadsheet]. I would do this manually but have numerous records to go through and was hoping to find a shortcut. Thanks for any help!

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.

NeonRedSharpie

Sounds like someone copied a pivot table!

Easiest way is to insert a helper column. In that helper column, place formula:

Code:
=IF(A2="",B1,A2)

You'll have to populate B1 to start, but after that it won't matter. Copy that down and you should get your answer. Then just copy/paste values and delete the old column A.

danriske

haha I just receive the data from a client, not sure if it originated in a pivot table...probably. That worked great, thank you very much!!

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dwg

This Week's Hot Topics