Filter function with wildcards

reaktorblue

Board Regular
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to use the new filter function in Office 365 Insiders. =FILTER(tblCourses[Name],tblCourses[Name]=B1) works perfectly fine if the text in B1 explicitly matches the text in the Name column of the tblCourses table.

What I'm trying to do is incorporate a loose search so that for example, if "Python" was in B1, than courses "Python for Beginners" or "Variables in Python" would be returned.

I thought maybe =FILTER(tblCourses[Name],tblCourses[Name]="*"&B1&"*") would work but it doesn't. Anyone have any idea how to accomplish this with the filter function?

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.

reaktorblue

Board Regular
So I was able to figure it out. For anyone who has the same question and is on Office 365 Insiders, the following formula works. It's results return anything with the text in cell B1.

=FILTER(tblCourses[Name],ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B1,tblCourses[Name])))

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arias610

This Week's Hot Topics

• Timer in VBA - Stop, Start, Pause and Reset
    [CODE=vba][/CODE] Option Explicit Dim CmdStop As Boolean Dim Paused As Boolean Dim Start Dim TimerValue As Date Dim pausedTime As Date Sub...
  • how to updates multiple rows in muliselect listbox
    Hello everyone. I need help with below code. code is only chaning 1st row in mulitiselect list box. i know issue with code...
  • Delete Row from Table
    I am trying to delete a row from a table using VBA using a named range to find what I need to delete. My Range is finding the right cell. In the...
  • Assigning to a variable
    I have a for each block where I want to assign the value in column 5 of the found row to the variable Serv. [CODE=vba] For Each ws In...
  • Way to verify information
    Hi All, I don't know what to call this formula, and therefore can't search. I have a spreadsheet with information I want to reference...
  • Active Cell Address – Inactive Sheet
    How to use VBA to get the cell address of the active cell in an inactive worksheet and then place that cell address in a location on the current...