Filter that uses search text from a range or column

mejohn

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to extract data from sheet1 into sheet2. One of the columns in sheet1 contains a personal identifier along with other text.

On sheet2 I use a filter function to extract data from sheet 1 by referencing cells in sheet2 column (i) that lists the personal identifiers I'm interested in.

=FILTER(INDEX(Sheet1!A:N,SEQUENCE(ROWS(Sheet1!A:N)),{2,3,4,6,9,11}),ISNUMBER(SEARCH(I2,Sheet1!K:K))+ISNUMBER(SEARCH(I3,Sheet1!K:K))+ISNUMBER(SEARCH(I4,Sheet1!K:K)),"")

The formula above works well, but for every new personal identifier I want to match, I have to add to the formula (+ISNUMBER(SEARCH(I?,Sheet1!K:K))). This formula also breaks if there're any empty cells referenced in column (i) of sheet2.

Is there a way to match the personal identifiers listed on sheet2 column (i) by referencing the entire column I:I, while using the search function? +ISNUMBER(SEARCH(I:I,Sheet1!K:K))

Thank you so much in advance for taking the time.

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

How many rows of data do you actually have on sheet1?

Upvote 0
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

How many rows of data do you actually have on sheet1?
Hi Fluff,
I updated my profile. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sheet1 has two thousand rows and 14 columns.
Using the formula above, I'm only porting over columns {2,3,4,6,9,11} from sheet1 to sheet2.

Thank you

Upvote 0
Ok, how about
Excel Formula:
=LET(rng,TRANSPOSE(I2:I5),FILTER(INDEX(Sheet1!A2:N5000,SEQUENCE(ROWS(Sheet1!A2:N5000)),{2,3,4,6,9,11}),MMULT((rng<>"")*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(rng,Sheet1!K2:K5000))),SEQUENCE(COLUMNS(rng)))))

Upvote 0
Solution
Ok, how about
Excel Formula:
=LET(rng,TRANSPOSE(I2:I5),FILTER(INDEX(Sheet1!A2:N5000,SEQUENCE(ROWS(Sheet1!A2:N5000)),{2,3,4,6,9,11}),MMULT((rng<>"")*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(rng,Sheet1!K2:K5000))),SEQUENCE(COLUMNS(rng)))))

Fluff, this worked perfectly!

Thank you so much!!!

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screechyboy79

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back