Filtering and a chart

Rufus 2006

Board Regular
Everyone:

This board is awesome. I have a workbook with 93000 columns in it and rows A-G populated. I am trying to create something where I can choose a name and the info I need will automatically display in a chart. I have looked into a pivot table and such but I don't think that is what I need. I am just learning (and willing to learn more) VBA, but I haven't learned enough about it to even try to create what I want in that by myself. Here is what the chart looks like.

Name Event Date Days Btw Events Weight Total +/-
Jay World 1/1/14 52.08 200
Jay Local 2/1/14 30 52.03 205 5
Pete Local 1/10/14 69.72 275
Pete Nat 3/10/14 60 68.58 270 -5

Somehow, I need to be able to select Jay and have his numbers come up in a chart. I also need for the horizontal axis labels for each meet to show the Date, Days Btw Events, and the Event.

Hopefully this is clear. I am using Excel for Mac 2011.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Rufus

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Hi, given your data in 93000 rows and 7 columns, a pivot could have be a fast and easy solution to explore...

Upvote 0
Thanks cyrilbrd. I will look into it some more. Probably I don't understand pivot tables enough yet.

Upvote 0
Thanks cyrilbrd. I will look into it some more. Probably I don't understand pivot tables enough yet.
Get back here if you need more info. Excel 2011 can handle pivot and the GUI is quite nice to work with...

Upvote 0
cyrilbrd: Yes I can use all the help I can get. I have no Idea what GUI is either. Thanks for the help.
oops, sorry, GUI is just for the 'color candy' hence the way the windows appear in excel for MAC might be more user friendly although this is highly debatable and definitely not part of your query (GUI: Graphic User Intreface "...a visual way of interacting with a computer using items such as windows, icons, and menus...")

Are you able to create your pivot or do you require some pointers?
Pointer#1
Pointer#2

Upvote 0
oops, sorry, GUI is just for the 'color candy' hence the way the windows appear in excel for MAC might be more user friendly although this is highly debatable and definitely not part of your query (GUI: Graphic User Intreface "...a visual way of interacting with a computer using items such as windows, icons, and menus...")

Are you able to create your pivot or do you require some pointers?
Pointer#1
Pointer#2

Thank you. I will work on these 2 Pointers and report back to you.

Upvote 0
cyrilbrd:

I did the pivot table. Great time, however I can't figure out how to insert the chart and make it work.

Upvote 0
Although Pivot Charts are not supported in Excel 2011, this does NOT mean that you can't create a chart with the pivot as a source, it just mean that the chart will not resize if the pivot is modified as to add column and rows. There is however a way around this by using offset counta with name ranges to refer to the data, thus making your chart dynamic and evolving with your pivot... Does this make sense to you?

Upvote 0
Although Pivot Charts are not supported in Excel 2011, this does NOT mean that you can't create a chart with the pivot as a source, it just mean that the chart will not resize if the pivot is modified as to add column and rows. There is however a way around this by using offset counta with name ranges to refer to the data, thus making your chart dynamic and evolving with your pivot... Does this make sense to you?

Although it doesn't make total sense, I have heard of using offset for dynamic charts. I will look it up and continue to learn.

Thank you for teaching me this way. It has been very valuable for me and forces me to learn it. Are you a teacher or coach, by chance? If not, maybe you should. This will take me a few days, so if you wouldn't mind checking back to see if I posted something I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back