Filtering Data from Query

ssabc1

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello:

I have a spreadsheet with combo boxes that are mapped to data from a power query. Imagine two columns called PartNo and PartDesc. I want to be able to select from either column, and have it lookup the value of the other. So if I select the PartNo, the corresponding description is entered automatically, or if I select PartDesc, the corresponding part number is entered automatically. I have one query defined with Power Query, defining only these two rows. This information is looking at a SQL Server data source.

I have played around a little with merge queries, and perhaps this is the answer. The difficulty is that I do not see a way to so a "SELECT PartDesc FROM Query WHERE PartNo = '123456'. It would be so nice to be able to do this without VBA coding. But even if that is required, how would it be done on a worksheet with 70 combo boxes? Basically I have all the cells defined as combo boxes looking at this query, so users can either type in or select the values (only values from the list as defined in the query are of course valid).

One additional question, when I open my workbook, is the query information updated fro SQL Server, or do I have to somehow do a refresh of this information?

Thank you.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back