Filtering Images causing Errors

Delfinus25

Board Regular
My users build product spreadsheets in Excel to track items carried in their area. Columns for Vendor, Product, price, etc. Included in this, they also insert images into a column so they have a visual representation of their selection.

We have an ongoing issue when they open these workbooks that they get an error saying:
"We found a problem with some content in 'Example.xlsx'. Do you want us to try to recover as much as we can? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes."

When it tries to recover, we get all the data back EXCEPT pictures. The repair log shows the following:

Rich (BB code):
{?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="true"?}
-{recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main"}
{logFileName}error083240_01.xml{/logFileName}
{summary}Errors were detected in file 'G:\FilePath.xlsx'{/summary}
{repairedRecords summary="Following is a list of repairs:"}
{repairedRecord}Repaired Records: Drawing from /xl/drawings/drawing1.xml part (Drawing shape)
{/repairedRecord}
{/repairedRecords}
{/recoveryLog}

I think I finally nailed down the CAUSE of the error:
If there is a single image that is not set with the property to "Move and Size with Cells," and then the data is filtered and saved that way, we get this error when we open the book the next time.
(Note: I KNOW this causes the error, because I can easily duplicate it. I don't know if it's the ONLY thing that causes the error, as I just started tracking the issue.)

At this point, I have obviously instructed my users to make sure ALL pictures are set accordingly, and NOT to save filtered data to be safe.

The problem we have is that sometimes during additions to the workbook, something will cause a crash, AutoRecovery will try to help and will save the file. That saves the workbook in this state, and so we get the error. (We also have the issue sometimes that users DON'T FOLLOW DIRECTIONS <shocking>, but that's a different issue....)

Most of the time, we have been able to restore a previous version of the file and work from that, although we lose any work done since that point. And the few that couldn't be restored, we at least had the SMALL benefit that the images were still stored inside of the file - so we could retrieve them, we just had to build the book again.

What I want to know if there is a way to CORRECT this error and make the workbook usable again, without losing the time that was spent to update the file.</shocking>

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)

If there is a single image that is not set with the property to "Move and Size with Cells," and then the data is filtered and saved that way, we get this error when we open the book the next time.
(Note: I KNOW this causes the error, because I can easily duplicate it. I don't know if it's the ONLY thing that causes the error, as I just started tracking the issue.)

I just had a user with this issue who did NOT save with filters on (although she did USE filters before saving).
She did have images that were set with incorrect properties, and some that were set to Move and Size with Cell but was over more than one cell, which I am starting to suspect causes some issues on its own...

Upvote 0
This is still occurring. Since the last post, it has ONLY happened when filters were on when saved.

Looking for possible fixes or alternate options.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back