Filtering large list

wbgill

This is for a non-profit organization. We have sold eight different products and have used a large existing spreadsheet list of customers. About 1/3 of the customers on the existing spreadsheet have purchased this year. We distribute the purchases on one day and need a list of "just purchasers" so that we can look up their orders as they arrive to verify purchases when we give them their products.

I have a column that is labeled "Filter". I would like to filter the list so that I end up with a list of just the customers that have purchased this year. The filter column will also return a total number of purchases for each cutomer. This will eliminate about 2/3s of the customers leaving a list of purchasers that will be easy to look through and verify their purchases without looking through the entire list.

To be honest, I did this last year, but can't remember how I set up the filter. I only use Excel a few times a year and it's easy to forget what worked in the past. I'll make better notes this time!

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Click the whole Row where your labeled Filter is located then do as follows:

click Data Menu-Filter-Auto Filter

Upvote 0
That didn't quite work, but that may because I didn't explain myself correctly, but in the process I think I figured out how to make it work. I was trying to do it in one step, but once I totaled the purchases and then filtered out the zeros, I think it gave me the result that I was looking for. I'll do some further checking.
Thanks for the quick response!
Bill

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertJones1986

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back