Filtering Lists

robertwhite

I have a list of data like:
1 A X
1 B Y
1 A Z
2 B Y
I am trying to create dropdown lists which would show 1 and 2 for the first cloumn, A and B for the second and X, Y and Z for the third. When the user selects A for column 2, I want the list for the list for the first column to only show 1 and then second cloumn to only show X and Z.

Essentially, I am trying to replicate filtering but I only want the filtered lists to show possible combinations.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Robert

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
There is no built-in option for that and I think it would be pretty complicated to do in VBA. It would probably also grind your workbook to a halt if you had a lot of data. I look forward to someone proving me wrong though! :)

Upvote 0
Hi Robert

I'm really not understanding - isn't this already what Autofilter does? Or is it a case you only want unique combinations returned, so multiple 1 A X would be excluded?

Upvote 0
I think you can do this, but you need to be absolutely clear about what the possible combinations actually are.

Also, the way you have described the problem makes me think that these lists are somehow self-referencing - i.e. they allow you to enter what's already been entered, but not what hasn't already been entered. Is that correct ? If so, you need to be very clear how that works.

At a very basic level, you can do something like this . . .

Cell A1
Set data validation to allow entries from list, source A, B.

Cell B1
Set data validation to allow entries from list, source cell C1.

Cell C1
Code:
=if(a1="A",1,2)

This makes the list of allowable values in B1 dependent on whatever value you have already keyed into A1.

But I'm guessing you might want something more complicated.

Upvote 0
Sorry I may have misunderstood the OP.

Re-reading it, I think Richard S is right - this sounds like basic Data Filter

Upvote 0
Hi Richard

I am trying to do two thing, ther first of which autofilter does i.e. create unique lists. The second thing I am trying to do is update the lists after a selection is made in another list. For example if Y is selected in cloumn 3, I no longer want selscting A to be an opiton for cloumn 2. Autofilter would offer A and B as opitons.
Thanks
Robert

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back