Filtering Question - probably very basic...

leemim

Hi all, having a dilemma in work so I've created a dummy replica for the sake of simplicity - the answer should apply to my RL scenario.

In the example shown below, ABC Cleaning Company have a list of properties that they clean, and whether or not that property pays for cleaning in certain rooms (Yes = they pay, so the room gets cleaned. No = they don't pay, room isn't cleaned).

For some properties, ABC Cleaning Company outsources the cleaning of certain rooms, which is signified by "Outsourced" next to "Yes" in the provision column.

In my RL scenario, I have 3000+ "properties" and about 50+ "rooms" - what I want to do is filter the spreadsheet so that it shows ONLY properties where ABC Cleaning Company have NO responsibility WHATSOEVER. That means the property should either have all 'No' in the rooms, or 'Yes - Outsourced' (treating Outsourced as a 'No').

What is the best way of achieving this?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
would you be willing to have a helper column with a formula?

Then you could simply filter the column?

a formual similar to this, i know its not quite right as we need to add the outsourced part but no point if your not happy to use a helper column

Code:
=IF(AND(C4="no",E4="no",G4="no",I4="no",K4="no",M4="no"),"no responsibility","responsible")

dave

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what a helper column is, but willing to do anything, so long as it is only shows properties where they're all either 'No' or 'Outsourced'! :)

How do I go about adding a helper column, sorry?

Upvote 0
Hi leemim

welcome to MR excel BTW.

sorry, what is meant by a helper column .
It simply means using an additional blank column within your worksheet to enter a formula.
So in your example posted i would say column O. We would write a formula within cell O4
Code:
=IF(AND(C4="no",E4="no",G4="no",I4="no",K4="no",M4="no"),"no responsibility","responsible")
we would then copy the formula down the column to the end of your data.
Then we can filter column O for the wording "no responsibility"

Does this make sense now?

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi Dave - and thanks!

I've applied this formula, but when I apply it down the rows, it is showing all properties as 'responsible'. But it should not be the case for '50 Fake Road' as that contains only 'No' and 'Outsourced' in all the rooms...

Is there a way to also tell the formula to check for 'Outsourced'?

Upvote 0
try this

hope it works for you

Code:
=IF(AND(OR(C4="NO",D4="OUTSOURCED"),OR(E4="NO",F4="OUTSOURCED"),OR(G4="NO",H4="OUTSOURCED"),OR(I4="NO",J4="OUTSOURCED"),OR(K4="NO",L4="OUTSOURCED"),OR(M4="NO",N4="OUTSOURCED")),"no responsibility","responsible")

dave

Upvote 0
Glat to help and glad it worked for you.

Thanks for the reply

dave

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have applied this formula to my RL scenario and I am receiving some #N/A results. I believe the reason for this is because the 'Provision' column contains more than just 'Outsourced' (it also contains Other, In-House, Mixed etc.).

How can I tell your suggested formula to ONLY look for 'No' and the 'Outsourced' (in provision column) and ignore all other possible entries inside these columns?

This is what I am currently using:

=IF(AND(OR(u2="NO",v2="Outsourced"),OR(ae2="NO",af2="Outsourced"),OR(ao2="NO",ap2="Outsourced"),OR(BA2="NO",bb2="Outsourced"),OR(bk2="NO",bl2="Outsourced"),OR(bu2="NO",bv2="Outsourced"),OR(ce2="NO",cf2="Outsourced"),OR(co2="NO",cp2="Outsourced"),OR(cy2="NO",cz2="Outsourced"),OR(di2="NO",dj2="Outsourced"),OR(ds2="NO",dt2="Outsourced"),OR(eb2="NO",ec2="Outsourced"),OR(ek2="NO",el2="Outsourced"),OR(et2="NO",es2="Outsourced"),OR(fc2="NO",fd2="Outsourced")),"None","Yes")

Upvote 0
I should mention that I am halfway there as it does return the properties where services are provided. But there are no 'Nones', just 'N/As' (again because the Provision column has multiple entries other than just 'Outsourced').

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradel

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back