Find "1969" in any column and replace cell directly to the left with "Completed"

DC01

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I have a huge spreadsheet report. It comes with erroneous data that I need to fix. Always the same, a date that is from 1969. The date column is deleted, but before I can do that, I have to find every instance of "1969" and replace the cell to the left of it with "Completed"

I know Excel at a 6 out of 10 skill user. I know Find Replace. I'm not very good with formulas or Vlook up, etc. I cannot figure out how to search all columns, find "1969" and replace the value in the cell to the left with "Completed"

Kind Regards, and thank you for any assistance.
DC.

Email addressTopic 1Topic 2
Name 1Email 1Not completedNot completed
Name 2Email 2CompletedFriday, 2 December 2022, 6:34 PMNot completed
Name 3Email 3CompletedWednesday, 27 July 2022, 1:07 PMCompletedWednesday, 27 July 2022, 1:36 PM
Name 4Email 4CompletedThursday, 28 April 2022, 10:19 AMNot completedWednesday, 31 December 1969, 7:00 PM
Name 5Email 5Not completedNot completed
Name 6Email 6CompletedTuesday, 26 April 2022, 1:58 PMCompletedTuesday, 26 April 2022, 2:32 PM
Name 7Email 7Not completedNot completedWednesday, 31 December 1969, 7:00 PM
Name 8Email 8Not completedNot completed
Name 9Email 9CompletedWednesday, 4 January 2023, 10:37 AMCompletedWednesday, 4 January 2023, 10:53 AM
Name 10Email 10CompletedTuesday, 27 December 2022, 3:07 PMCompletedTuesday, 27 December 2022, 7:54 PM
Name 11Email 11CompletedTuesday, 26 April 2022, 1:26 PMCompletedSaturday, 7 January 2023, 8:09 AM

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Hi and welcome to MrExcel!

Try this macro:

VBA Code:
Sub replacedata()
  Dim r As Range, f As Range, cell As String
  Set f = Cells.Find("1969", , xlValues, xlPart)
  If Not f Is Nothing Then
    cell = f.Address
    Do
      If f.Column > 1 Then f.Offset(, -1).Value = "Completed"
      Set f = Cells.FindNext(f)
    Loop While Not f Is Nothing And f.Address <> cell
  End If
End Sub

HOW TO INSTALL MACROs
------------------------------------
If you are new to macros, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the above code into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. To use the macro, go back to the worksheet with your data on it and press ALT+F8, select the macro name (replacedata) from the list that appears and click the Run button. The macro will execute and perform the action(s) you asked for. If you will need to do this again in this same workbook, and if you are using XL2007 or above, make sure you save your file as an "Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) and answer the "do you want to enable macros" question as "Yes" or "OK" (depending on the button label for your version of Excel) the next time you open your workbook.

Upvote 0
Solution
Why would you look in all columns when many columns will never have 1969 in them? Like Name or email columns for example. Wouldn't the search be on column F, or whatever the rightmost column above is?

Upvote 0
Hi and welcome to MrExcel!

Try this macro:

VBA Code:
Sub replacedata()
  Dim r As Range, f As Range, cell As String
  Set f = Cells.Find("1969", , xlValues, xlPart)
  If Not f Is Nothing Then
    cell = f.Address
    Do
      If f.Column > 1 Then f.Offset(, -1).Value = "Completed"
      Set f = Cells.FindNext(f)
    Loop While Not f Is Nothing And f.Address <> cell
  End If
End Sub

HOW TO INSTALL MACROs
------------------------------------
If you are new to macros, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the above code into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. To use the macro, go back to the worksheet with your data on it and press ALT+F8, select the macro name (replacedata) from the list that appears and click the Run button. The macro will execute and perform the action(s) you asked for. If you will need to do this again in this same workbook, and if you are using XL2007 or above, make sure you save your file as an "Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) and answer the "do you want to enable macros" question as "Yes" or "OK" (depending on the button label for your version of Excel) the next time you open your workbook.
Dante! That worked perfectly. I get a new report every morning and I have to do this find, paste Completed into cell to the left of it. Can be 100 of them. Its crazy. Thanks so much for your time!

Upvote 0
Why would you look in all columns when many columns will never have 1969 in them? Like Name or email columns for example. Wouldn't the search be on column F, or whatever the rightmost column above is?H
Hi there, I need/do this because there are 10+ columns with potential "1969" values where the cell to the left needs to be set to completed. One of those things where I don't control the output that I start to work from. I have to deal with what is provided to me and clean it up before I can use it. So it is not just Column F. it is every other column X 10.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

I have a huge spreadsheet report.
How big is your "huge"?

The date column is deleted,
Do you mean date columns are deleted (that is the 4th & 6th column in your sample above)?

If so, with a big file, especially if there are quite a few 1969 dates, you might find this faster.

VBA Code:
Sub Completed1969()
  With ActiveSheet.UsedRange
    .Replace What:="* 1969,*", Replacement:="#N/A"
    .SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlErrors).Offset(, -1).Value = "Completed"
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

How big is your "huge"?

Do you mean date columns are deleted (that is the 4th & 6th column in your sample above)?

If so, with a big file, especially if there are quite a few 1969 dates, you might find this faster.

VBA Code:
Sub Completed1969()
  With ActiveSheet.UsedRange
    .Replace What:="* 1969,*", Replacement:="#N/A"
    .SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlErrors).Offset(, -1).Value = "Completed"
  End With
End Sub

Hi and Thanks Peter.
Huge as in large xcel dump from our LMS (learning Mgmt System) that covers some 15+ modules and the dates of the test and the results to the left of the date for some hundreds of users at any time. So I was having to do a Ctrl+F to find and then move one cell to the left and change "Not Incomplete" to "Completed" Was a real nauseating process.

The code that I was first provided takes care of this in 2 seconds.
I can try yours as well. But it wont be any faster in that 1 second or 2 seconds wont make a difference to me. It was the 10 minutes down to 2 seconds that saved me! :)

Regardless, Thanks much for your additional support.

Upvote 0
I can try yours as well. But it wont be any faster in that 1 second or 2 seconds wont make a difference to me.
Fair enough, but you might as well at least give it a try? :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back