Find 1st 6 matching numbers in 2 different columns

Jacki

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet that contains account numbers up to 15 digits long. In a 2nd sheet I have a shortened version of these account numbers (1st 5 numbers match). I need to be able to show which account numbers match. Can someone please help me with a formula for this?

Thanks in advance :)

Jacki

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)

Mike Szczesny

Assume column A data contains the 15 digit number. Assume column B contains numbers (1st numbers match). You can use =exact(left(A1,5),B1). Copy down. Same numbers will produce true. Different numbers will produce false. Granted, this formula will work assuming column only contains the first five matching numbers.

Joyner

Hello Jacki, what do you want for a result, do you want the Row number of the match? Do you want a formula that just identified if there is a match for the 15 digit account number?

something like this will give you the row number of the match, and #N/A for no match:

=MATCH(LEFT(A1,5),Other Sheet Name!A:A,0)

Assumes the 15 digit Acct no starts in A1 and the 5 digit numbers on the other sheet are in column A

=IFERROR(MATCH(LEFT(A1,5),Other Sheet Name!A:A,0),"No Match") to return "No Match"

You can use VLOOKUP is a similar way to return the matching 5 digit account number.

If you are looking for the first 6 that match, you will need an array formula.

Last edited:

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbisacca