Find a column reference for a cell meeting 2-dimensional criteria

crazytalker90

Hello! I have been trying to do this for many days now, and so finally decided to join this forum and ask for help.

I am trying to get the column number of a cell that meets both vertical and horizontal criteria within a matrix.

Specifically I am trying to produce a formula that will give me the column number of a column that both includes the number 1 and has a specific REF #

Example:

REF#1/4/1312/4/127/18/13

<tbody>
</tbody>

e.g. For an input of the REF# 3, I would like it to output 3 (3rd column is where REF# 3 has a 1 in the matrix)

The reason I am looking to do this is to produce an OFFSET function that will utilize this column number to give me the heading title (Date) for different REF #s corresponding to where the number 1 is located.

Any tips will help! I've tried using combinations of IF, OR, AND, SUMPRODUCT, VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, OFFSET, INDEX, COLUMN, and MATCH but can't seem to quite figure it out

~Charlie

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Hello! I have been trying to do this for many days now, and so finally decided to join this forum and ask for help.

I am trying to get the column number of a cell that meets both vertical and horizontal criteria within a matrix.

Specifically I am trying to produce a formula that will give me the column number of a column that both includes the number 1 and has a specific REF #

Example:

REF#
1/4/1312/4/127/18/13

<tbody>
</tbody>

e.g. For an input of the REF# 3, I would like it to output 3 (3rd column is where REF# 3 has a 1 in the matrix)

The reason I am looking to do this is to produce an OFFSET function that will utilize this column number to give me the heading title (Date) for different REF #s corresponding to where the number 1 is located.

Any tips will help! I've tried using combinations of IF, OR, AND, SUMPRODUCT, VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, OFFSET, INDEX, COLUMN, and MATCH but can't seem to quite figure it out

~Charlie

Let A:D house the above sample.

Let F2 house 3, a REF # of interest.

G2, just enter:

=MATCH(1,INDEX($B$2:$D$4,MATCH($F2,$A$2:$A$4,0),0),0)

If you want the date in the headers row...

=INDEX($B$1:$D$1,MATCH(1,INDEX($B$2:$D$4,MATCH($F2,$A$2:$A$4,0),0),0))

Upvote 0
Let A:D house the above sample.

Let F2 house 3, a REF # of interest.

G2, just enter:

=MATCH(1,INDEX($B$2:$D$4,MATCH($F2,$A$2:$A$4,0),0),0)

If you want the date in the headers row...

=INDEX($B$1:$D$1,MATCH(1,INDEX($B$2:$D$4,MATCH($F2,$A$2:$A$4,0),0),0))

Wow! Very impressive @Aladin! Such a nice, simple solution. Thanks so much. To make it a little tougher, is there a way to make the formula to work in an example like this:

Ref#2/4/127/2/138/12/13

<tbody>
</tbody>

So that for in a case like with REF# 1 it still finds the REF# 1 and 1 in the matrix match despite the first REF# 1 where a 1 is not present?

~Charlie

Upvote 0
Wow! Very impressive @Aladin! Such a nice, simple solution. Thanks so much.

You are welcome.

To make it a little tougher, is there a way to make the formula to work in an example like this:

Ref#2/4/127/2/138/12/13

<tbody>
</tbody>

So that for in a case like with REF# 1 it still finds the REF# 1 and 1 in the matrix match despite the first REF# 1 where a 1 is not present?

~Charlie

Duplicate records change the nature of the task:

G2, control+shift+enter, not just enter:
Rich (BB code):
=MIN(IF(IF($A$2:$A$5=$F2,$B$2:$D$5)=1,$B$1:$D$1))

Upvote 0
Wow! Thanks a lot! That's so much more elegant than the way I was trying to build the formula:

OFFSET(INDEX(A:A,MATCH(F2,A:A)),-ROW(INDEX(A:A,MATCH(F2,A:A)))+6, [here's where I was having trouble finishing it] )

Yours is much better. Would you be able to explain to me how exactly your formula works? I got lost at the "=1"

~Charlie

Upvote 0
Wow! Thanks a lot! That's so much more elegant than the way I was trying to build the formula:

OFFSET(INDEX(A:A,MATCH(F2,A:A)),-ROW(INDEX(A:A,MATCH(F2,A:A)))+6, [here's where I was having trouble finishing it] )

Yours is much better.

You are welcome.

Would you be able to explain to me how exactly your formula works? I got lost at the "=1"

~Charlie

The inner IF produces a result array (let's call it INNER) consisting of values corresponding to F2 ( the REF # of interest) and FALSE values. The outer IF produces a result array (let's call OUTER) consisting of header dates corresponding to the data value of 1 and FALSE values. MIN, run on the OUTER array result, picks out the smallest date value from that array as the end result.

Upvote 0
Great, thanks so much Aladin! Very powerful usage of IF, excited to explore that more. Have a great evening!

~Charlie

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back