Find address of max value, sports stats

Rikib1999

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I have a table of sport team, which shows, how many goals (with assissts) 2 players scored together (so if player 5 scored a goal and player 16 assisted on this goal they will have one common goal).
There is an example of the table, players numbers are in the first column and row, common goals are for the player from the column and row:

Now, I need in another 3 cells, the amount of most goals of a pair, so the max value of the table (can be done with MAX formula), then the numbers of the 2 players which have that most common goals.
I tried to find them out by INDEX, MATCH, MAX, ADDRESS, CELL... but nothing worked.
Do somebody know, how should I approach this problem?
Thanks!

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Such tasks are never as simple as you would like them to be, I think that the method I've used below eliminates all possible errors in the results. I've deliberately set a tie for the max to further test the formulas. Tested with a 3 way tie with no apparent issues.
Book1
ABCDEFGHI
1571623MAXFirst PlayerSecond Player
Sheet9
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2G2=MAX($B$2:$E$5)
H2:H4H2=IFERROR(INDEX($A$1:$A$5,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($B$2:$E$5)/($B$2:$E$5=$G$2),ROWS(H$2:H2))),"")
I2:I4I2=IFERROR(INDEX($A$1:$E$1,AGGREGATE(15,6,COLUMN($B$2:$E$5)/(INDEX($B$2:$E$5,MATCH($H2,$A$2:$A$5,0),0)=$G$2),COUNTIF(H$2:H2,H2))),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back