Find an exact partial match otherwise indicate not found

sphynx25

Hi everyone!

I’m trying to put together an expense tracker in Excel. The intention is to take an extract from online banking on a monthly basis which would give me a list of all my expenses. The extract includes the date the expense was incurred, a description of the expense, the amount incurred. I have then put a column next to these which indicates the categorisation of the expense, e.g. ‘Utilities’ something like this:

<table>
<tr>
<th>Date incurred</th>
<th>Expense Amount</th>
<th>Expense Description</th>
<th>Category</th>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>2019/05/31</td>
<td>$xx</td>
<td>Direct Debit 0015928 Verizon CR CARD PMNT 934730506</td>
<td>Utilities - Internet</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>2019/05/31</td>
<td>$xx</td>
<td>[Supermarket name] J364 [Suburb]</td>
<td>Groceries</td>
</tr>
</table>

So here’s the problem I’m having: ideally I’d like the categorisation to auto populate based on a separate table I’m working on which basically has a unique term which appears in somewhere in the expense description with a second column providing a categorisation. The other table's format presently looks like this:

<table>
<tr>
<th>Search Term</th>
<th>Description</th>
<th>Category</th>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Verizon</td>
<td>Verizon home internet bill</td>
<td>Utilities - Internet</td>
</tr>
</table>

Given that the merchants decide on the line item content and format, the placement of the vendor name is not often consistent. Also, some stores etc. tend to have the store name in the expense but might have other numbers etc. in the expense description to indicate the specific store location. Ideally I'd like to avoid having to do time-intensive pre-processing of the extract each month, so I want to take check if anything in my reference table has an exact partial match with each line item in the online bank extract. I've tried messing around with variants of LOOKUP and VLOOKUP, but using these results in the formula taking its best guess (which will always be wrong) in cases where the vendor has been seen before and isn't already on the list. Ideally, in these cases, I'd want the formula to inform me that no exact partial match was found which will allow me to manually add it to the table for future lookups.

Any ideas, guys? This one has me pretty stumped short of pulling out VB and working on some macros.

Thanks so much for your help!

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hi. Try using Find() or Search() functions. These both find text within a cell, irrespective of other characters in the cell. They return the starting position of the searched text, so test the returned value for an error or not.

Regards

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response, Bagloon. The issue is that I'm looking for absolutely any word in my reference table in each bank extract line item. Is there a neater way to achieve this than a whole mess of if statements?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back