Find and GoTo with Loop and Input Box

mt

Board Regular
I know this code is messed up and was hoping for some help. I am trying to write a code that would allow the user to input a Parcel,Lot# and want to search 10 Worksheets named Data 1 thru 10 in one workbook. The matching records should be found in range AF of each sheet, if the record exists. If the matching record is found, I want the user to be able to input data into the worksheet, then have the option to search for another lot and repeat. If the record does not exist, then the user should have the option to search for another record.

Please do not get sick over my lame attempt. Thanks for the help.
Mike

Code:
Sub findtest()
Dim wks As Worksheet
Dim rng As Range
Dim StrAddress As String, StrFind As String

Do
StrFind = InputBox("Please enter search parcel,lot") & "Stakeout property corners, bldg corners, elevation"
'Range AF of each data sheet will contain a match for the StrFind
For i = 1 To 10

With Worksheets("Data" & i) '.Range("AF5:AF" & LRow)
LRow = Worksheets("Data" & i).Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row
    For Each Ce In Worksheets("Data" & i).Range("AF5:AF" & LRow)
    Set rng = Worksheets("Data" & i).Range("AF5:AF" & LRow).Find(StrFind, lookat:=xlWhole, LookIn:=xlValues)
        If Not rng Is Nothing Then
            Application.Goto Reference:=rng, Scroll:=True
                rng.Offset(0, 20).Select

If MsgBox("Seach for another Lot?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion) = vbNo Then Exit Sub

ElseIf MsgBox("Could not find Lot, Search for another Lot?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion) = vbNo Then Exit Sub    'if not match found

End If
        Next Ce
End With
Next i
Loop
End Sub

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Hi -
try;
Code:
Option Explicit
Sub find_me()
Dim i As Long
Dim inp, inp1, sht, n As String
Dim c As Object
On Error Resume Next
start:
inp = InputBox("Please enter search parcel,lot")
inp1 = inp & "Stakeout building corners"
For i = 1 To 10
sht = "Data" & i
    With Sheets(sht).Columns("AF")
        Set c = .Find(inp1, , , xlWhole)
            If Not c Is Nothing Then
                Sheets(sht).Select
                    c.Offset(, 20).Select
                        n = 1
                        If MsgBox("Seach for another Lot?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion) = vbYes Then
                            GoTo start:
                            Else
                                Exit Sub
                        End If
            End If
    End With
Next
If n <> 1 Then
    If MsgBox("Could not find Lot, Search for another Lot?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion) = vbNo Then
        Exit Sub    'if not match found
            Else
                GoTo start:
    End If
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. I wanted the string from the input box to combine with additional text, "Stakeout building corners..", so the string that we would be searching for would be, for example, "a18Stakeout building corners". The find function in excel does not seem to recognize this string either, which leads me to believe there must be a limitation on the find function? Should I the match function instead?

Mike

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. inp1 seems to calculate correctly when I hover over the code in break mode, but it is not "finding" the matching text in Column AF.

Mike

Upvote 0
This minor change solves the problem. The find string in the worksheet is derived from a formula. I am not sure what the default variants are for find, but setting the variant to xlValues works.

Code:
 Set c = .Find(inp1, , LookIn:=xlValues, Lookat:=xlWhole)

My second question to this problem was, can the input box be programmed to allow the user to scroll through the worksheet and input data once the data is found, then click OK to search for the next lot?

I appreciate your patience working through this.

Mike

Upvote 0
My second question to this problem was, can the input box be programmed to allow the user to scroll through the worksheet and input data once the data is found, then click OK to search for the next lot?

sorry, I could not understand fully. you mean when the input box pop-up, you want the user to select manually the data that needs to type in input box?

Upvote 0
Mike,
If I understand - that you want to have the inputbox remain showing and allow the user
to interact with the sheet at the same time - (yes?) then I believe the answer is no.
You could however use a userform for this.

Upvote 0
Yes, it sounds like I will have to set up a user form-- my learning experience continues. Thanks for the help.
Mike

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back