Find and Highlight duplicates in non-adjacent columns

kevinmcilroy

I have multiple non adjacent columns where i want to highlight when a duplicate occurs in one of the preceding columns.

The columns are filled in A to I, so therefore after all entries are entered into A i need any duplicate entries entered into C to be highlighted. Then any entries in A or C if duplicated in E highlighted, entries in A, C or E entered into G highlighted and so on.

Basically the 20 entered in C would be highlighted because its also in A, in E the 34 would be highlighted as its also in A and the 55 highlighted because its in C

ABCDEFGHI

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
You show the duplicates being colored differently from each other... is that a requirement? If so, how big is your data base and what is the maximum number of sets of duplicates you expect to ever have?

Upvote 0
Hi Rick,

No the duplicates don't have to be coloured differently, thats just to better show the duplicates in the example.

Will not have more than 12 columns of duplicates and likely to be no more than 300 rows

Ideally, I'd like to have the cell to be highlighted yellow if possible so that it stands out rather than the actual data itself

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back