Find (and number) consecutive values of '1'

ollyhughes1982

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi,

I have the formula (below) in column GV (GV162).

=IF(E162<>"",(IF(OR(LEFT(C162,6)="Pont y",LEFT(C162,5)="Ponte",LEFT(C162,5)="Ponty"),1,"")),"")

Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 15.38.42.png
Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 15.38.13.png

This formula checks whether the value in column C meets the stated criteria of the formula and puts a 1 (conditionally formatted in orange) in the cell if it does, but appears blank if it doesn’t.

This works fine, but what I want to know how to do is, add a formula in the next column (GW) that consecutively numbers any consecutive series of 1s. e.g. In the screenshot I would want to see a 1 in GW161 as it is a run of just one, a blank (or a 0?) in GW162, a 1 in GW163, a 2 in GW164 and a 3 in GW165. GW165 would then be a blank (or a 0?) again, as the run of 3 is over, and so on…

I’ve tried a couple of things, but can’t get them to work.

My endgame is to be able to identify the first time I achieve a run of 4 (or more) in a row (a challenge called ‘The Ponty Express’) and populate the data in the second worksheet (shown below), possibly using some sort of FILTER(SORT formula.

Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 15.52.39.png

So, this worksheet would only show anything, once a full run of all 4 in 4 consecutive parkruns has been completed.

Link to the example file (small size and opens quickly) is here: Example.xlsx

Thanks in advance!

Olly.

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Great. What would I then need to do in the second worksheetHi again
You need to stick to your other thread for that.
OK. With your last formula, should I be getting all 1s in column GW? Should I be expecting to see 1, 2, 3 and 4 in GW251, GW252, GW253, GW254, as this is the first instance where 4 do indeed appear in a row of 4. I have included (below) what I'm getting in the example file. It seems to be doing the same as in the GV column, except with 0s rather than blanks. Thanks again.
Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 22.16.51.png

Upvote 0
Make sure that you have calculation set to automatic.

Upvote 0
The formula in col GW is not what I suggested.

Upvote 0
The formula in col GW is not what I suggested.
I did amend it slightly, to blank out if nothing on the row and changed the C:C to C4:C2003, I'm guessing it's that second part that's messed it up. I usually try and avoid the whole column references to save memory / storage etc in my large main file. I'll change it back now

Upvote 0
I've now amended to =IF(E4<>"",IF(GV4="",0,IF(ISNA(MATCH(C4,INDEX(C:C,ROW()-GW3):C3,0)),GW3+1,1)),"") and it works correctly. Apologies for that. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Glad to help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back