Find and Replace Empty Texts ("")

Jubinell

Board Regular
Hi,

I'm having this problem whereby a few cells in my work contain empty texts. An empty text is represented textually in VBA with a pair of double quotation marks with nothing inside (I think).
This means that the cells don't display anything visible, but are not blank/empty.

So what happens is that formulas such as ISBLANK(), COUNTA(), etc. are returning unexpected results.

How do I find and replace these empty texts with nothingness?

If possible, no VBA please!

Thank you in advance

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
A worksheet function cannot change another cell. If you are wanting to delete spaces inside cells that appear empty but may have several spaces or other non-printing characters, you will need vba.

If vba is an option, please show some sample data using Richard Schollar's HTML Maker or Excel Jeanie.

Upvote 0
Whoa not even find or replace can do the job?

By the way I'm sure what I have is neither a space nor a non-printing character. I don't think it's a character at all because I am not able to move the cursor anywhere other than the starting position once I'm inside these cells.

As for sample data, I don't think that's necessary. My task is relatively straightforward. Clear all content (spaces, non-printing characters, empty texts such as ""...all) from selected cells.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I misunderstood.

If you cannot move inside the cell (arrow keys) while in edit mode, I think you must be correct as to no spaces. Have you tried entering =CODE(cell address) in another cell to see if a character is detected?

Upvote 0
If you could install ASAP-Utilities, it has a feature called Advanced Character Removal. You can select Invisible Characters etc and replace them with nothing.

Edit: I'm guessing what you have are formula blanks. I faced this problem when some users used paste special > values on formulae that returned ""
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input *******="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input *******="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Upvote 0
@GTO code() returns #Value! error.
@sandeep I think I might have done something like that. Any chance this could be done without costing money?

Upvote 0
@sandeep I think I might have done something like that. Any chance this could be done without costing money?

It could be done with VBA but you specified you don't want a VBA solution.

Upvote 0
Well I said "if possible, no VBA please!"
If you have some codes in mind, please do let me know.

Upvote 0

ASAP Utilities is a free utility
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input *******="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Upvote 0
@sandeep

ASAP works like a charm. It took off the invisible characters when I chose "Invisible" under Advanced Character Removal.

Thanks.

P.S. Didn't know that there's a free version of ASAP as well. This is cool.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back