find and Replace method for quick calculation not working

WardS

Hi everyone

I'm on Excel 2007 and have a spreadsheet that takes about 35 minutes to recalculate the present worksheet using Shift+F9.

I was having success with using find and replace when altering a formula in a column e.g. if the forumla was A2*A3 I'd make it A2*A3&53, copy it down the column, then do a find all and replace all to get rid of the '&53'. This would recalc the column in about 4 minutes all up - a lot better than half an hour.

Yesterday this method starting having a hiccup - the first 200 cells or so would be recalculated quickly, then it would start jumping around to other columns, slowing down to a crawl. The other columns didn't have the text '&53'.

Has anyone used this method to recalc and had the same issue arise?

I'm not in a position to use the normal methods of speeding up calculation (faster pc, group individual calcs into super formulae, cut down number of range names).

Regards

Ward

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Do you have this workbook shared?

We have a shared workbook and we find that all the users changes are stored within the file as we go.

The only way we know of reducing the size of the file and speed up recalc is to copy the worksheet, delete the original and then rename the copy.

We do this about one a month.

Upvote 0
The workbook isn't shared. I do a File>Save As... (to a new name) a few times each day.

Ward

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back