Find and Replace

Obied70

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
This one is a little bit silly and less a problem than a nuisance. I have spreadsheets I use as templates for each month as we move through the year. This month for example, I need to replace "Sep" with "Oct." Simple enough you say? Yes it is. However, here is what happens. I have a few spots where the letter "v" is at the end of a word/acronym, ie. Rev, GPV. Okay so we do the find/replace and I end up with...ReOct and GPOct. What gives?!

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Sounds like you are replacing "v" with "Oct" in that case. I would double-check to make sure that you did not make some error.

Also, is "Sep" the entire contents of the cell?
If so, then and click on the "Match entire cell contents" option on the Replace tab (under Options).
This will ensure that you will only replace instances where the full entry matches (and not just any part).

And here is another option you may want to consider in your template.
Try having the month in one single cell (let's say A1).
Then, in all your other month references, use "=A1" instead of hard-coding it in.
Then each month, you only need to update cell A1 and all the others cells will be updated automatically.

Upvote 0
It's strange I know. So all of the "Sep" that need to get changed, are being changed to "Oct", it's just those other two instances where there is a v at the end of a string. Like I said, not a big deal just curious as to what excel gremlin is causing that. At this point, doing the find/replace is easier than changing all 40 or so cells to reference ha.

Upvote 0
At this point, doing the find/replace is easier than changing all 40 or so cells to reference ha.
In the short term (i.e. this month), but over the long haul, probably not. It is one of those instances in which a little work up-front will save you a lot of work down the road.

And it also eliminates the possibility of the strange errors you are experiencing from happening, or other unintended replacements (i.e. if you are not replacing the whole word, you could also make other unintended replacement, i.e. if you were replacing "Mar" with "Apr" and you had words on your sheet like "Mark" or "Market").

So all of the "Sep" that need to get changed, are being changed to "Oct", it's just those other two instances where there is a v at the end of a string
I really do not see how that can happen, other than user error. If you would like to upload the template to a file sharing site for us to look at and test, we will take a look at it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyanscott

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back