Find Best combination of sum value or Nearest to sum value

ExcelUser5005

Hi,

I need an solution in VBA to find Best combination of sum value or Nearest to sum value from the list of data.

For ex:
in A column
A1 = 10
A2 = 20
A3 = 35
A4 = 50
A5 = 60

Given sum value
B1 = 100
B2 = 85

Expected output from macro
A1 = 10 B2
A2 = 20 B2
A3 = 35 B1
A4 = 50 B2
A5 = 60 B1

Total B1 is 95 which is near to 100. This is the best near combination of sum values
Total B2 is 80 which is near to 85. This is the best near combination of sum values

Kindly help

Thanks

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Hi,

This is actually quite a difficult problem. I've worked on several similar problems. See here for example:

The problem is that there's no standard algorithm for this. Sometimes for a given situation, there's a way to do it, but there's no general solution that works in a reasonable (linear, or even polynomial) time. The only way I know is to calculate all the possible combinations, and see which one works "best". For your simple example, it wouldn't be hard, but I suspect you have larger ambitions. It's possible that you could use the Solver. Next to the values in column A put another column that indicates which number goes with which sum, then have a formula showing how far off from the targets the sums are. Then minimize that value by varying the work column. But since this would not be a continuous function, the Solver might not actually check all the possibilities. I don't know enough about the internals of the Solver to say.

I suspect that one reason you haven't gotten any responses is that you're not just looking for a formula, or even a simple VBA macro, but a complicated algorithm. I also suspect there would be a lot of back and forth required to nail down the requirements, since I don't think that your example really encompasses your entire requirements. Most people here don't have that kind of time to devote to a single question.

I'm sorry to say I'm in that category too. I've tried my hand at several variations of this, and end up spending a lot of time on them, and usually do not end up with a satisfactory answer. I wish you well, and maybe someone else with try their hand at it. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Hi,

This is actually quite a difficult problem. I've worked on several similar problems. See here for example:

The problem is that there's no standard algorithm for this. Sometimes for a given situation, there's a way to do it, but there's no general solution that works in a reasonable (linear, or even polynomial) time. The only way I know is to calculate all the possible combinations, and see which one works "best". For your simple example, it wouldn't be hard, but I suspect you have larger ambitions. It's possible that you could use the Solver. Next to the values in column A put another column that indicates which number goes with which sum, then have a formula showing how far off from the targets the sums are. Then minimize that value by varying the work column. But since this would not be a continuous function, the Solver might not actually check all the possibilities. I don't know enough about the internals of the Solver to say.

I suspect that one reason you haven't gotten any responses is that you're not just looking for a formula, or even a simple VBA macro, but a complicated algorithm. I also suspect there would be a lot of back and forth required to nail down the requirements, since I don't think that your example really encompasses your entire requirements. Most people here don't have that kind of time to devote to a single question.

I'm sorry to say I'm in that category too. I've tried my hand at several variations of this, and end up spending a lot of time on them, and usually do not end up with a satisfactory answer. I wish you well, and maybe someone else with try their hand at it. Good luck!
Thanks for your reply

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back