find cell value

$B$2:$B$17&$G$2:$G$17 concatenates each entry in column B (Home teams) with column G (running count of matches played). So the first item in the array would be Panahaiki1, the second Aigaleo1 and so on.

SUBSTITUTE(J$1,"MATCH_","") changes MATCH_1 to 1. This is concatenated with the contents of cell I2 to produce (also) Panahaiki1.

So ($B$2:$B$17&$G$2:$G$17=$I2&SUBSTITUTE(J$1,"MATCH_","")) compares each item in the array $B$2:$B$17&$G$2:$G$17 with Panahaiki1 and returns True if found, False if not. These Boolean values (True = 1, False = 0) are multiplied by each item in the array $F$2:$F$17 (the ID) to return an array containing the number or zero. The resulting array is added up, returning the matching ID because all the other values are zero.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
all went ok friend thank you... i noticed that my main problem was that your version of excel uses , instead of ; to express "then" that was the problem my excel couldn't understand.
may i ask i final question
if a make a table just like you showed me for the all the season for 24 matches in the home table... if a team has 4 matches and another one has 3, the one with the three matches will take 0 in the cell. this is not fair :) can you help me make up something to understand when a team has a match less than the others so that in the cell i would not take 0 as a value or maybe i take a message in the cell like FALSE or something?
is it possible?
thanks a lot for your help

Upvote 0
For one more time you are right but i haven't explained what The ID stands for because i thought i wasn't nessesary that time. The ID stands for WIN or LOOSE & Score & Goals Against e.t.c and a Couple of things that involved in the game played bassed on a type created by me. so if a team looses it takes 0 i can't change it. Thats why i am searching for something else.. i have thoughts of changing that into 1 for win 2 for loose X for draw. so i did it based again in the type you gave me but i encountered a problem with "X" so instead of "X" i decided to put 0 everything when ok but i still have the same problem. the problem that i mentioned in my previous message. can you help?
Thanks for all your help you provided so far :)

Upvote 0
Ok, you win!
FootballLeague.xls
ABCDEFGHIJKLM
1DateHomeAway12IDHAHOMEMATCH_1MATCH_2MATCH_3MATCH_4
210/01/2002PanahaikiAris01511Panahaiki52  
310/01/2002AigaleoAEK11611AEK1   
410/01/2002IraklisOFI30811AWAYMATCH_1MATCH_2MATCH_3MATCH_4
510/01/2002PanioniosIonikos20411ARIS5   
610/01/2002AkratitosXanthi01511Giannina61  
710/01/2002ProodeytikiGiannina10611
810/01/2002OlympiakosKallithea10511
910/01/2002PAOKPanathinaikos41511
1011/01/2002ArisPanionios10111
111/25/2002PanahaikiIraklis02221
Sheet1

Upvote 0
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
t h a n k Y O U !!!!!

Upvote 0
i know this situation is getting out of hands :))) but i still need your opinion and once you are a "doctor" in your kind :)
i am going to say it
well i made the table perfect! thanks to you but the application became extremely slow.. then i thought that i can copy and then paste special only the values of the matches that have taken place until now but the other ones with "-" what can i do? is there anything? please doctor my processor need your help :)

Upvote 0
This will convert formulas to values if the match has been played:

Code:
Sub Test()
    Dim Rng As Range
    Dim c As Range
    On Error GoTo NoFormulas
'   *** Change range references to suit ***
    Set Rng = Union(Range("J2:M17"), Range("J19:M34")).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas)
    For Each c In Rng
        If c.Value <> "" Then
            c.Value = c.Value
        End If
    Next c
NoFormulas:
End Sub

Another option to speed up your data entry process is to set calculation to manual (Tools, Options, Calculation tab). Then press F9 to update the results of your formulas. "Calculate" will appear in the Status Bar to indicate the need to do this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back