Find First Instance of a Value after the Last Instance of Another Value in a Row

jurgensen

Hi All,

I'm responsible for reviewing a long checklist of items for project deliverables at my job. Each time I perform a check, I add a new set of a columns to record my feedback. Pass status is in every other column starting as S for as many checks as it takes to pass all the items. Right now, I'm manually entering completion dates of checks, but there are a lot of items and I want to cut down on the time it takes to do housekeeping work, so I want my date completed field (column R), to be populated automatically with a formula.

The formula for Date Completed needs to show the first pass date (response is "Yes") after the last not passed or N/A date (Response is "No" or "N/A".) If the last pass status in the row is "N/A", then the date should show "N/A". If the last response in the row is "No", then the date should show as "".

Here are some additional details that may help:
1. Sometimes check statuses change over the course of the check as deliverables are reworked and revised, so the pass status doesn't always go from No --> Yes
2. The only valid responses in the "Passed?" columns are Yes, No, N/A and ""
3. There are no other fields for the checklist after column R aside from the check status and comment columns
4. The checks can go out an infinite number of times (but the most number of checks performed may be around 20)

Thank you so much to everyone for their help!!!!!!
QRSTUVWXYZAAAB
11/1/20132/1/20133/1/20134/1/20135/1/2013
2Date CompletedPassed?CommentPassed?CommentPassed?CommentPassed?CommentPassed?Comment
3Item 14/1/2013YesNoN/AYesYes

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
If that whole query is too much, then maybe just a formula that would give me the minimum date for "Yes" that is greater than the maximum date for "No" or "N/A".

Upvote 0
Try this on a copy of your workbook first.

I have gone out 35 columns from the start and down 47 rows

Code:
Sub MoveData()
Dim i As Long
Dim x As Long
    For x = 54 To 19 Step -1
        For i = 3 To 50
            If Cells(i, 18) <> "" Then
                Select Case Cells(i, x).Value
                        Case Is = "yes"
                            Cells(i, 19).Value = Cells(1, x).Value
                        Case Is = "N/A"
                            Cells(i, 19).Value = "N/A"
               End Select
            End If
         Next i
    Next x
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I'm responsible for reviewing a long checklist of items for project deliverables at my job. Each time I perform a check, I add a new set of a columns to record my feedback. Pass status is in every other column starting as S for as many checks as it takes to pass all the items. Right now, I'm manually entering completion dates of checks, but there are a lot of items and I want to cut down on the time it takes to do housekeeping work, so I want my date completed field (column R), to be populated automatically with a formula.

The formula for Date Completed needs to show the first pass date (response is "Yes") after the last not passed or N/A date (Response is "No" or "N/A".) If the last pass status in the row is "N/A", then the date should show "N/A". If the last response in the row is "No", then the date should show as "".

Here are some additional details that may help:
1. Sometimes check statuses change over the course of the check as deliverables are reworked and revised, so the pass status doesn't always go from No --> Yes
2. The only valid responses in the "Passed?" columns are Yes, No, N/A and ""
3. There are no other fields for the checklist after column R aside from the check status and comment columns
4. The checks can go out an infinite number of times (but the most number of checks performed may be around 20)

Thank you so much to everyone for their help!!!!!!
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
AA
AB
1/1/2013
2/1/2013
3/1/2013
4/1/2013
5/1/2013
Date Completed
Passed?
Comment
Passed?
Comment
Passed?
Comment
Passed?
Comment
Passed?
Comment
Item 1
4/1/2013
Yes
No
N/A
Yes
Yes

<tbody>
</tbody>

R3, control+shift+enter, not just enter:
Rich (BB code):
=IFERROR(1/(1/MIN(IF($S$3:$AB$3="Yes",
  IF($S$1:$AB$1>LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,
  1/MATCH($S$3:$AB$3,{"N/A","no"},0),$S$1:$AB$1),$S$1:$AB$1)))),
  SUBSTITUTE(LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),$S$3:$AB$3),"No",""))

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin,

Thanks very much for your help. I tried the formula and it works great, except in two cases:
1) Sometimes checks can occur on the same day, so for example, W1 and Y1 in my original chart may sometimes both be equal to the same date.
2) There is usually text in the comment fields, but this text will never equal "Yes", "No" or "N/A". When that happens, however, it breaks the formula and the date completed in R3 shows the adjacent text.

One thing I thought of is that even though the dates can sometimes overlap, the actual position from left to right (e.g. in range S3:AB3 S3 = position 1, U3 = Position 3, etc.) on the worksheet always links to order and timing of checks performed. So what if we used this logic?
1) If the row does not contain "Yes", "No" or "N/A", then R3 = ""
2) If there is only 1 N/A, then R3 = N/A
If there is only 1 No, then R3 = ""
If there is only 1 Yes, then R3 = S1 date w/ first yes
3) If the position of the last N/A > position of the last No or N/A, then R3 = N/A
If the position of the last No > position of the last Yes or N/A, then R3 = ""
If the position of the last Yes > position of the last No or N/A, then R3 = date in S1:AB1 (min position of Yes that is also greater than the max position of the last No or N/A)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maplemeadows

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back