Find first of multiple strings in dynamic column range & set other cells above/below it to corresponding values

chomsky123

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a formula to find dynamic ranges in a column "A" based on salesperson and then look in the adjacent column "C" for various sales years and then in column "E" I have to record years working for the company. The problem is column "C" is not filled out properly and many sales years are blank. I want to search down column "C" and when the first year is found then to populate the other cells in the dynamic range with the corresponding sales years, e.g. If I start the search at 1995 but the first year returned is 2003 I want to assign the cell directly above 2003 as 2002 and so on until the first row of the dynamic range and then to assign the rows below 2004, 2005 and so on until the final row of the dynamic range.

Then I will go to copy columns "A", "C" and "E" and paste them into a separate spreadsheet in the same workbook.

Are there any simple ways of going about doing this? I'm very much a noob, but learning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A B C D E
Bob 4
2003 5
2004 6
Alice 1
2000 6
Peter 3
2002 7
2003 8
2004 9
Amy 2

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
1575137337228.png

Sorry, this is how I should've sent the example data.

Upvote 0
Imagine D is in E. The point is the columns are now contiguously connected in adjacent columns.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back