find identical value from sheet 2 and sheet 1 and report the value directly below the matching value on sheet 1 in a cell on sheet 2

Snowy85

Hi I hope you excel geniuses can help.

I have some structural forces extracted from some design software to excel. The resulting spreadsheet contains multiple tables across 2 sheets.

Each table has a part mark for each beam, brace or column, the issue is that only one table contains the beam size. On sheet 1 column A contains the part mark and directly below this is the section size. the data I need that is missing this section size is on sheet 2. So I need to insert a new column on sheet 2 adjacent to the part mark, that looks for the matching part mark on sheet 1 and reports the value in the cell below (the section size) into the new column on sheet 2.

The data in sheet 1 follows a recurring pattern in that the section size is always directly below the part mark in column A. But there can be any number of blank cells or even new table headers before reaching the next part mark and section size. Currently I have to manually go through this process matching section sizes to part marks but it can take a day or more to go through this. I have tried lookups, transposition and IF's and I cant get the required results.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
I have provided a link to the excel data export to assist. Download from dropbox here.

I have coloured the two identical values in yellow and the value i need from the first sheet in green, i have also coloured 2nd sheet cell green where i want the green cell in sheet 1 to be reported.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksjohnson1970

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back