find names value via combobox

hsolanki

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Morning everyone

I have got the code which perfectly working. combobox1 finds the staff number and then populates names in Combobox 1 & 5 however i would like to change this from a staff number to names find

below is the code whereby it finds it using the staff number. the staff number is in column A & names in column B

VBA Code:
Private Sub ComboBox1_Change()

If Me.ComboBox1.Value <> "" Then
        Me.TextBox1.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(CLng(Me.ComboBox1.Value), ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Monthly Summary").Range("A:B"), 2, 0)
        Me.TextBox6.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(CLng(Me.ComboBox1.Value), ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Monthly Summary").Range("A:C"), 3, 0)

Else
        Me.TextBox1.Value = ""
    End If

End Sub

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Hi sorry, when i select the names i want to bring back staff numbers in textbox1.

basically, i want to reverse.

Upvote 0
Hi Yes at the moment but if i can change the names into the column box instead of the number then the textbox will also need to show the names alone

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
    With ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Monthly Summary")
        Me.TextBox6.Value = .Cells(WorksheetFunction.Match(Me.ComboBox1.Value, .Range("B:B"), 0), 1).Value
    Else
        Me.TextBox1.Value = ""
    End If
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Flashbond, Thank you so much, it wokred however i have forgotten that in the textbox6 i also needed to find the number values which was in textbox6, therefore, i amended the code and added textbox6 line . it was finding the names and the holiday entitlement which was in textbox6 showing however i get an error now

VBA Code:

With ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Monthly Summary")
        Me.TextBox1.Value = .Cells(WorksheetFunction.Match(Me.ComboBox1.Value, .Range("B:B"), 0), 1).Value
        Me.TextBox6.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(CLng(Me.ComboBox1.Value), .Range("C:C"), 0, 1).Value

Else
        Me.TextBox1.Value = ""
    End If
    End With

End Sub

This is the line i get error:
VBA Code:
Me.TextBox6.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(CLng(Me.ComboBox1.Value), .Range("C:C"), 0, 1).Value

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
There are so mant wrongs with this line. I don't know where to start..

1.First you said
select the names
You can not cast names into Long integers like CLng(Me.ComboBox1.Value). Of it is a name, then what do you expect the result to be?

2. I am not sure you can vlookup to single column. Generally, you lookup more than 1 column like .Range("B:C"). If you match the calue on column B, then tou can return the 2nd column value which is C.

3. Which brings us to 3rd problem. There is nothing as 0 column number. The column number you should return must be greater than 0.

4. Why are you returning close match 1? For an exact match, the last argument must be 0.

5. Last problem but not the least, you can not return .Value from a Vlookup function. The function itself already returns a value. Delete it.

After evaluating all these, I suspect you are experienced in using Vlookup function. Tell me what do you have in columns A, B and C. What do you have in combobox? And what do you want to return in Textbox6?

Upvote 0
Morning Flashbond, apologies for the mess, however, i am not great at coding and just making my away in learning but I do really appreciate for your guidance.

i have attached a snapshot of what i am trying to achieve and for easier understanding

Attachments

• Holiday Entilement.jpg
    Holiday Entilement.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back