Find Nth occurrence horizontally, then return appropriate column header?

trikky

Hi all!

I've searched and searched, without finding exactly what I'm looking for. My goal in this exercise is to look horizontally across an array, find the Nth occurrence of a specific text string ("No") and then, in the appropriate cell, return a value that is the column header for the column in which that string occurred. In the next cell on the same row, it would return the next occurrence's column header.

Here's how my sheet is laid out. Highlights are there for demonstration purposes only, but the pinkish area contains the cells in which I want the magic to occur.

Row 1 is dedicated to column headers, which are actually names of elements users are being evaluated upon ("did they do this?"). Rows 2-6 are the answers for each user (the user name is entered in column A). So Column A is the list of names, Columns B-K are the answers (yes / no / N/A)

The sample below gives a visual. The red text (in First Instance/Second Instance columns) show what I want to appear. The black text a couple of rows down shows the result from my testing (explained next paragraph).

During my time trying to figure it out myself, a basic index Match =INDEX($B$1:$E$1,MATCH("No",B4:E4,0) in F4 returned 'Question 1', but an attempt to expand upon that in F5 {=INDEX($B$1:$E$1,SMALL(IF($B4:$E4="No",COLUMN($B4:$E4)),2))} returned 'Question 3', which is of course is incorrect.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

ABCDEFGHIJ
1Agent NameQuestion 1Question 2Question 3Question 4First InstanceSecond InstanceThird Instance4th Instance5th Instance
2BillYesYesNoNoQuestion 3Question 4
3BenYesYesYesYes
4MaryNoNoYesYesQuestion 1Question 3
5BettyYesYesYesYes
6SonyaNoNoYesYesQuestion 1Question 2
<colgroup><col width="120" style="width: 90pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4388;" span="10"> <tbody> </tbody>

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Welcome to the forum.

Put this formula in F2:

=IFERROR(INDEX($B$1:$E$1,SMALL(IF($B2:$E2="No",COLUMN($B2:$E2)-COLUMN($B2)+1),COLUMNS($F2:F2))),"")

and confirm it by pressing Control+Shift+Enter, not just enter. Then drag it down and to the right as needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks.

Put this formula in F2:

=IFERROR(INDEX($B$1:$E$1,SMALL(IF($B2:$E2="No",COLUMN($B2:$E2)-COLUMN($B2)+1),COLUMNS($F2:F2))),"")

and confirm it by pressing Control+Shift+Enter, not just enter. Then drag it down and to the right as needed.

You are the sunshine of my life. :) I put it in my actual worksheet and it works perfectly (not that I had any doubt, of course).

Thank you very much for the solution. This one was making my pull my hair out, and according to my kids, I don't have a lot of hair left.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone,
I’m new to the forum.

rather than create a new thread I wanted to reply here as I wanted to expand on this original question, I know it’s a very old thread.

i want to accomplish the same thing as above, but is it possible to return values based on two criteria? I have attached a photo of what I am trying to accomplish as well as the code I have put into the cell I am having trouble with. I took the original code that was suggested here and added and AND function, but I figured that this may not work as it may need some other adjustments.

I am building a report that shows which days materials drop below 0 and each consecutive day that they go further down, but only on days that have a material usage and not the negative days in-between that materials aren’t needed.

Thanks,
Justin

Attachments

• 00137581-F0A0-4914-A018-A5F8B36EE6C5.png
    00137581-F0A0-4914-A018-A5F8B36EE6C5.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back