Find & Replace but preserve font & format

Exgirlfriend

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a cell which contains a paragraph with words that are bold, some words are strike through, and other words are italicized. I find & replace one word in the paragraph and the whole cell loses the format. How do I prevent this from happening? I have multiple sheets that need to be combed through. To resolve the issue, I looked all over online and message boards but still have not found a solution.

Any help with be appreciated!
Your Ex-Girl

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Thanks for the response! I do appreciate it. I saw that one but I believe it only works with the text that is being found and replaced. My focus is the other data within the cell - how do I preserve that texts' formatting.

Upvote 0
Have a look at the following link...

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the response! I do appreciate it. I saw that one but I believe it only works with the text that is being found and replaced. My focus is the other data within the cell - how do I preserve that texts' formatting.

Upvote 0
Actually, it does preserve the formatting. Have you tried it?

Upvote 0
Actually, it does preserve the formatting. Have you tried it?
HA! I think I found the issue. My cell has more than 255 Characters. Had no idea excel has a limitation. I did a couple of google searches to see if I could resolve that issue. Looks like it is problematic. Do you have the workaround? Thanks for stating the obvious for me. . .

Upvote 0
@Exgirlfriend
As a work-around.
Can you copy your data to Word?
Word can deal with text formatting much better than Excel.
Edit your data in Word then copy it back to Excel.

Upvote 0
@Exgirlfriend
As a work-around.
Can you copy your data to Word?
Word can deal with text formatting much better than Excel.
Edit your data in Word then copy it back to Excel.
The issue is I have a workbook with about 500 tabs so that would be a lot of copying and pasting.

Upvote 0
I have a cell which contains a paragraph with words that are bold ...
1. Do you only deal with a single cell on each tabs?
2. And in that cell do you have a single line or multiline data? There's a problem if you have multiline data, that is if you copy it to Word then copy it back to Excel then it will be pasted in separate cells.
3. Can you give an example of "find & replace " that you want to do?

The issue is I have a workbook with about 500 tabs so that would be a lot of copying and pasting.
I think it's doable by using macro in both Excel & Word. But my VBA for Word is a bit rusty, so if the solution would be a bit complicated then I'm not sure I can help you. But maybe some experts in Word VBA could help you, like @shg .

Upvote 0
2. And in that cell do you have a single line or multiline data? There's a problem if you have multiline data, that is if you copy it to Word then copy it back to Excel then it will be pasted in separate cells.

I think it's doable by using macro in both Excel & Word. But my VBA for Word is a bit rusty, so if the solution would be a bit complicated then I'm not sure I can help you. But maybe some experts in Word VBA could help you, like @shg .
I'll strike out on all of the above. . .

. . . multiple cells. About 15 rows and 3 columns for each sheet

Multi-line Data. I'm thinking it might be good to split the cells. I have a good "breaking point"

Think of AM and PM. Activities that were done in the AM and activities done in the PM. I want to go through and delete the AMs and PMs so I can assign them to their own cell. I thinking about doing a text to columns function but once again, I run into losing the formatting when I do the split. Would that be more efficient? I have looked online but most of the forum is dedicated to merging cells and not splitting the cells. I'm super new at this so sorry for my lack of education and detective work at finding the right message boards!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuddy_Duddy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back