Find & Replace but preserve font & format

Exgirlfriend

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a cell which contains a paragraph with words that are bold, some words are strike through, and other words are italicized. I find & replace one word in the paragraph and the whole cell loses the format. How do I prevent this from happening? I have multiple sheets that need to be combed through. To resolve the issue, I looked all over online and message boards but still have not found a solution.

Any help with be appreciated!
Your Ex-Girl

Multi-line Data.
Sorry, I don't know how to deal with the multiline data on this issue.

I'm thinking it might be good to split the cells. I have a good "breaking point"
I don't understand what you mean. The multiline cell will be separated on different rows not columns when you copy it back to Excel. Just try it so you understand what I mean.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Correct, rows. I would do a split to row based on a common symbol (breaking point) - which I have but the split to the new row would lose the formatting - font, bold, strike through, etc. How could I preserve the split while maintaining the font format?

Upvote 0
Correct, rows. I would do a split to row based on a common symbol (breaking point) - which I have but the split to the new row would lose the formatting - font, bold, strike through, etc. How could I preserve the split while maintaining the font format?
I don't think you can do that in excel.:cry:

Upvote 0
But maybe some experts in Word VBA could help you, like @shg .
Oh my, please don't say that. My skills in Word automation are limited to flailing to edit recorded macros.

Upvote 0
Are we talking about Word or Excel?

I have a tool I use to highlight words and phrases; it does a regex find (not find and replace, though it could be adapted to do so), and can set bold, italic, and font color while preserving other character-level formatting in the cell. So I make all the "shall"s bold and red, and the requirements ("REQ_\d{4})" bold and blue, ... to stand out in a column of text.

Upvote 0
Are we talking about Word or Excel?

I have a tool I use to highlight words and phrases; it does a regex find (not find and replace, though it could be adapted to do so), and can set bold, italic, and font color while preserving other character-level formatting in the cell. So I make all the "shall"s bold and red, and the requirements ("REQ_\d{4})" bold and blue, ... to stand out in a column of text.
At this point I don't know what I should do. I have 500 worksheets in one workbook. I need to edit a cell on each sheet - thankfully it is the same cell location. The cell has different formatting - strikethrough, bold, and regular font. The cell has over 255 characters. I'm thinking I should export it to word, do my changes, and then export it back. At this time, I'm open for any suggestions

Upvote 0
Edit it to do what?
the find & replace, merge & split, extract text. Any one of those functions would be incredible but they only go to 255 characters. My goal is to break them down so I don't run into this situation and because it would look better.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back