Find Replace from a list of words

semperaye

Hello!

I can't seem to be able to find any help in regard to this, nor can I find any excel add-ons that can do this seemingly easy task. I have a huge list of URL's on my spreadsheet, and I need to remove certain domains such as social media sites and various others. I can do this manually, one-by-one by doing a ctrl+f and replacing youtube.com with a blank space in replace, but this would take a hour going through my entire blacklist. Because my spreadsheet is in a special kind of tree-view, I can't simply filter the list via another program then paste it back into excel. I need a way to do this within excel. I've tried making a custom filter on another sheet and then doing an advanced filter, but that didn't work because then I wasn't able to filter by another important column for some reason. I think the only way to do this easily would be for a bulk replace. I would certainly appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks!

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest

DSCfromCFA

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Is there some reason why the Replace (under Find and Select at the far right of the Home ribbon) wont work?

Failing that, there is Substitute with the Text Functions in the Formulas tab

semperaye

Is there some reason why the Replace (under Find and Select at the far right of the Home ribbon) wont work?

Failing that, there is Substitute with the Text Functions in the Formulas tab

Hi. Thank you for the reply :) The Replace does work, but I have a list of hundreds of words so I can't do them one-by-one like the replace your speaking of requires, thats why I was hoping there was another way, or an addon that had the functionality to where you could just copy and paste a list of words to a bulk replace. The substitute with text functions are going going to work for this purpose either.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AW2020

This Week's Hot Topics