Find Replace from a list of words

semperaye

Hello!

I can't seem to be able to find any help in regard to this, nor can I find any excel add-ons that can do this seemingly easy task. I have a huge list of URL's on my spreadsheet, and I need to remove certain domains such as social media sites and various others. I can do this manually, one-by-one by doing a ctrl+f and replacing youtube.com with a blank space in replace, but this would take a hour going through my entire blacklist. Because my spreadsheet is in a special kind of tree-view, I can't simply filter the list via another program then paste it back into excel. I need a way to do this within excel. I've tried making a custom filter on another sheet and then doing an advanced filter, but that didn't work because then I wasn't able to filter by another important column for some reason. I think the only way to do this easily would be for a bulk replace. I would certainly appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks!

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Is there some reason why the Replace (under Find and Select at the far right of the Home ribbon) wont work?

Failing that, there is Substitute with the Text Functions in the Formulas tab

Upvote 0
Is there some reason why the Replace (under Find and Select at the far right of the Home ribbon) wont work?

Failing that, there is Substitute with the Text Functions in the Formulas tab

Hi. Thank you for the reply :) The Replace does work, but I have a list of hundreds of words so I can't do them one-by-one like the replace your speaking of requires, thats why I was hoping there was another way, or an addon that had the functionality to where you could just copy and paste a list of words to a bulk replace. The substitute with text functions are going going to work for this purpose either.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back